Wet slipping for season?

imstriker

Seaman Apprentice
Just purchased a new 208LR that I was really excited about. Then I made the mistake of reading the owners manual which states it has to be epoxied or bottom painted if wet slipped. That seems crazy to me as a our little Starcraft fiberglass boat has been wet slipped for years without incident. Does anyone keep their Stingray in the water all season? If so, do you have blister problems or did anyone follow their "suggestion" in the manual? Worried now that I may have purchased a boat with really inferior resin used. Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Starcraft fiberglass boat has been wet slipped for years without incident.

Every fiberglass boat manufacture says the same thing, and has been a real possibility forever. This doesn't mean it will happen, it means it can happen. Been boats which have never been painted and never show signs and others show signs in just a couple years. It all depends on how well the gelcoat was installed and any impurities.

My cruiser has always been painted and I'm having all of it stripped off because I now have a lift. Painting a boat every 3 to 5 years gets expensive and time consuming. So either pay for a lift or pay to have it painted. Or you could not paint it and roll the dice.

tpenfield

Staff member
I would definitely do an epoxy-based barrier coat if you are keeping the boat in the water. Blisters seem to be a roll of the dice. StingRay is more of an economy line of boats, and while their processes are certainly fine, there is no guarantee that the gelcoat is going to be 'bullet-proof' against long term exposure to water.

Even the higher end brands have their fair share of blister problems.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
Always kinda thought if u keep ur boat in the water u need bottom paint. Even if u use it every day you'd wind up with some kind of scum line.
Don't know why painting the bottom some people thinks it decreases the value of the boat.

imstriker

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all for the replies. I guess I've just been very lucky then. Our Starcraft has never had any issues. It does grow algae but that just comes off with some work. I appreciate all the help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Don't know why painting the bottom some people thinks it decreases the value of the boat.

Depends on the size of the boat. For a larger boat that's unlikely to be trailered, it probably doesn't affect the value much. However on a trailer boat it can. I searched specifically for an unpainted boat when looking for my Hydra-Sports. I was not intending to slip it and didn't want to maintain ugly bottom paint.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
I have my boat bottom painted white. I run offshore and Worse case scenario boats flips and the white is easy to see compared to black or blue. And my plug is painted fluorescent green, no mistaking that it's on.