Wet sanding

rick3b

Cadet
I do not want to sound stupid, but when you "wet" sand do you wet the sandpaper? Or is it a type of sandpaper?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wet sanding

yup on both questions. You use wetordry paper, usually black in color and plenty o'water, or not if you want to use it dry. Most of the time you wouldn't spend the money for wetordry paper except to use it wet tho. Chief

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you're wet sanding it's a good idea to keep irrigating the area with a trickle from a hose or dabbing a wet sponge frequently over the work area to wash away the grit and material you've removed from the surface. Gives a smoother surface as you're not grinding the loose grit etc into the surface.<br /><br />Also helps lubricate it a bit if you put some plain soap or dishwashing detergent into water in a bucket and dip the paper and sponge in that. <br /><br />If you're sanding before painting, don't use car wash and waxes etc as a lubricant as they may have silicone in them and paint doesn't stick well to silicone.

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you wipe the sanded surface down with something soon after you've finished (before it drys) with acetone, soap and water, whatever. It'll remove the fine film of material left over.

Bondo

Staff member

water, whatever. It'll remove the fine film of material left over.
Water..... Lots,+ Lots of Water...........<br /><br />That's the Whole Idea of Wet Sanding...........<br />If you tried to dry sand with such Fine paper, it would load-up in Seconds.........<br />The Water is to control the material that you're removing.........Keeping it Out of your Sandpaper,+ Off the Boat.........

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I find a few drops of dish detergent in the water helps keep the paper from loading up quick and slide nice. Just don't over do it with soap or you will be sanding bubbles.<br /><br />EDIT:<br /><br />DOH! I see Tinkerer already said that. Ignore me.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try to use a block on all flat surfaces .It sux to get it all shiny and smooth and see finger drags.