Wet sanding?

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Wet sanding?

ya know what Johnny Bigrigger? you seem like a real a$$... <br /><br />i can garauntee i probably gel more boats then you do so i don't need a sermon on gel over paint either. did you gelcoat today? i did, and 3 days last week too..<br /><br />i stated in my post that i WAS openminded and would try anything new, and you reply with some condescending reply, again. :( <br /><br />all you had to say was, "it really cuts thru the dead gel well", not some diatribe on how we're all stupid.<br /><br />just for the record, i don't need to check with a supplier, Minicraft sent me the assortment of bars 2 years ago. i find it safer and just as effective to wetsand my fresh gel and buff with superduty. sand with 600, buff, done..<br /><br />i've been fortunate not to have had any dead gel restos since getting the bars, but i will try them out for $hits and giggles on the next one i get..<br /><br />mods, feel free to delete this or whatever.. i'm done..

play2win

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone think it is possible to answer the questions that I most recently posted (2/23/04 @9:38am). I am sorry that this topic is causing such a raucaus. I would just like if someone can help me with some of those questions that were presented.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry this got so "off topic" on you play2win..<br /><br />there was a heavy discussion on your exact scenario like a week or 2 ago about redoing flaked gel jobs. well, actually it was a paint discussion but you can transfer the techniques to gel. yes, for a full refinish of that you would lay a black base, then clear gel with flake in it (you can set guns up to spray this thru needle and cap sizing), then more clear gel on top...<br /><br />try doing a search maybe for "metal flake", hopefully that thread will pop up..<br /><br />and yes, if your down thru metalflake to your base, refinishing will probably be your only option.. just clearing it would not be advisable. if your spraying anyway, its advisable to lay a fresh base down first... if you ditch the metalflake you could go with just a single stage shot of black gel too...<br /><br />hope that helps....

LubeDude

Admiral

boy, gone for a week and look what happens?<br /><br />Ryoken my man, you hung in there! Youre right on too!

I have the same problem on my 86 Javalin, tired paint. Not having the bucks to re-paint, but wanting the best look possible, I have tried my share of miracle cures. This worked for me, for what it's worth. I wet sanded with 320 grit. The important word is wet. I did it with a rubber sanding block and a water hose right on top of it. Went back with 600 grit afterwards(still lots of water). Then after a good wash and dry, used a product by Auto Magic called Power Cut Plus. It is a wax, compound, and polish. Applied with a damp rag, used a power buffer and the old girl looks pretty good. Hard work, but I like the results. Easy on the wallet too.

I have the same problem on my 86 Javalin, tired paint. Not having the bucks to re-paint, but wanting the best look possible, I have tried my share of miracle cures. This worked for me, for what it's worth. I wet sanded with 320 grit. The important word is wet. I did it with a rubber sanding block and a water hose right on top of it. Went back with 600 grit afterwards(still lots of water). Then after a good wash and dry, used a product by Auto Magic called Power Cut Plus. It is a wax, compound, and polish. Applied with a damp rag, used a power buffer and the old girl looks pretty good. Hard work, but I like the results. Easy on the wallet too.