Wet sand and buffed that oxidation away

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,

I have a 1988 Angler 18' CC with a 115 Johnson. I got a good deal on the boat and it was very neglected from the previous owner. I was debating on painting the whole boat because of age and oxidation from the Florida sun. Its a two tone white and gray hull. Well, I decided to wet sand the hull with 600 grit wet sand paper. I started to buff it out with Tru-Grit compound. It came out nice, but I wanted an even higer gloss. So, I went over the 600 with 1500 grit paper. I then buffed it out with a wool cutting pad on a high speed buffer with the Tru-grit compound. I also waxed it with Imperial paste wax and WOW. A wet looking gel coat is what I got. It looks like a new boat. The gel coat did not get dull when I applied the wax, but the gloss got even higher. I still have to do the inside of the boat and the teak work too.

Yes, it is alot of work, but thats what you have to do when you own an older boat. From now on I will keep that boat covered up when I am not using it because I dont want to do this job again.

Joe - Flash wax man

Jimmy Jam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wet sand and buffed that oxidation away

Hey, how about some pics!

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Wet sand and buffed that oxidation away

I will post some pictures of the outside. I will be doing the inside this week wil the dull gray floor. I will take comparison pictures.

Joe - Flash Wax man