FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I too just picked up a West Bend 7.5. Mine is an Elgin sold through Sears, late '50s model. All the West Bends I have looked (at least from that era) have model numbers that are a 571-XXXXX. Whats the motor look like? Color? Where is the model and serial number tag? Any reference to where it was made?
try the folks at discount-marine-parts.com they may be able to help you out. They have a cross refernce list with westbend numbers though I didn't see any 7001.
Well the motor w/ the cover on looks kinda like a bread box? Cream in color. Made by West Bend Aluminum Co. West Bend Wisconsin, USA. The tag is on the steering arm? I have Photos.Hope this helps. Thanks, Richard
This is an excellent site for old Elgins. I think they're very much underrated and are very reliable strong running motors. I've got a '57 5.5 h.p. I use regularly. Anyway, this site should answer most of your model year, fuel mix, etc... questions. http://www.elginoutboards.org/
But don't run them at 50 to 1 unless you want to kill it. I use 24 to 1.
Hope this helps!
Bob P.