Went to the lake and nearly got that sinking feeling...

GKevinR

Seaman Apprentice
I have 2000 (year) cc 1901 (model) bay boat. Today, took it out for a quick run since its been sitting up all winter. No issues with running it until I got back to the dock. Trailered it and took the drain plug out. Poured water. Looked in the bilge - there must have been 10 gallons back there. Drain plug poured water as fast as it could go for at least 10 minutes. Checked the hull - no issues. Transom - no issues. It's been inside my shop all winter and the bilge was dry before I went to the lake. It does have cockpit drains that have big lever ball valves. The lever is in line with the drain hose, which I believe means it is open. The hoses connect to two open ports below the water line. I've had those open since I got the boat so any water on the floor automatically drains when I run...works perfectly. There really arent any other open ports on the hull for water to come in - certainly not in that volume.

Didnt get any water over the back or front end that I know of - and the back end has two more drains above the water line in the engine well (outboard). We were only on the water 15 mintues to make sure the engine was smooth. I've owned the boat for years and have never had that issue. Usually, i might have 2 cups of water in the bilge after a full day on the water.

Can't think where that volume of water would have come from. Thoughts?

dwco5051

Commander
I/O or outboard? Were all the drainplugs on the engine replaced after winterization if I/O?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you have a livewell and plastic thru-hulls, the plastic fittings and hoses last 5-15 years

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check the cockpit drain hoses between the ball valves and transom, for leaks. That is the place where they would leak, since it is below or at the waterline.

Also check to see why the bilge pump failed to come on. You do have an automatic bilge pump, right?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Had that similar issue this spring on mine, turned out that a hose from the live well to the transom was loose and slipped off.