Wellcraft 190ccf Transducer Location

Joey805

Cadet
I have a 1997 Welcraft 190ccf and cannot for the life of me figure out a spot to put a fish finder transducer. The unit is a Raymarine DS500X. I'm open for either thru-hull or transom mount.

It has a stepped transom which only has about a 2 inch lip, not enough room to put a transom mount transducer. I already tried this and it hung well below the bottom of the hull by about 1 inch.

Inside the bilge area, there is a flat platform on the starboard side which seems like a good spot but just spoke to someone at BOE and they said it's probably a hollow area and would not be a good location for a transducer due to possible water getting in causing rot.

Anyone have one of these boats that can give me some insight?

Thanks!

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Wellcraft 190ccf Transducer Location

I don't know the specifics of your boat but providing its single layer fiberglass, anywhere inside the floor should work and once in place, should be affected by water.

I believe the biggest concerns are that the floor isn't too thick and I suspect yours won't be. And you need to ensure you clean the surface and use the proper slow cure epoxy. If not, you'll get bubbles in the epoxy which will prevent the read thru the hull.

Joey805

Cadet

Well, this flat area inside the bilge does not angle like the hull does so I'm assuming there is some space between the hull and this "platform". If I went with a thru-hull right here, I'm sure I would need the longer shaft ducer. If I had to guess I'd say its about 3 or 4 inches thick.

Maybe I can take some pics and to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Joey805

Cadet

OK, here are some pics....

Here is the boat when I first got it. It has the old very tiny transducer mounted.

IMG_9415.jpg

Here is the boat with the old ducer removed:

IMG_9429.jpg

I attempted to mount my new transom mount ducer that I just bought in the same location, obviously it's much bigger, hung too low and didnt't work out so well there:

IMG_9417.jpg

So then I figured, I'll just go with a thru hull. At first look in the bilge area, this is what I had to work with:

IMG_9420.jpg

I know the ducer should go on the starboard downward spin side of the prop so I removed the second battery to see what I had under it. Here is what I have now:

IMG_9437.jpg

It appears to have some sort of flat step there which I do not believe follows the hull.

Here is a shot of underneath:

IMG_9434.jpg

So the big question is, where do I put a transducer at? And what kind? Thru hull with fairing block, thru-hull low profile or transom mount.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to do here.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!