Well, now I have a question or two that needs answering.

daselbee

Commander
Ok, E115TLCRD, 1984 V4 115 flatback crossflow.

This motor has a water leak at the bottom of the exhaust manifold cover. It seeps out under pressure, and eventually runs out down the leg.

So, I took it apart, and put both the outer cover and the inner filler plate on a surface table. They are both warped.
Neither part is available new anymore.

So...the question....can these be straightened? They appear to be cast aluminum, so I wonder about breaking, and I also wonder about whether they
will try to return to the warped position even after straightening.

They are warped pretty bad, too bad to glass plate surface them like heads....

Any suggestions? Are these always warped, like from a junk motor? Common problem?

What about the mating surface of the block? Will it be warped too? I have not put a machinists straight edge on the block yet.

Thanks for your ideas....

Doug

SparkieBoat

Captain
I did not know that they made a flat back 115, I thought that they were all bubble back. I wonder if the bubble backs warp? If not maybe you could get a bubble back exhaust and put on it, just my novice way of thinking anyway.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The early 115 hp motor did not use the " bubble back " manifold.-----I am sure that all the bolts on those covers will seal that up with no problems.----OK you dont believe that.---Then use some plasti-guage on the surfaces and torque to 50 inch-lbs.----See if you get good contact all round.

daselbee

Commander
Yeah Racer, I was thinking all those perimeter bolts would pull it down. Did not know for sure.
This is a flat back for sure. Odd, tho, that the parts page for this exact model shows a bubble back picture.

I wonder if the powerhead has been changed. I have access to the original owner....will ask.

I found the outer cover on ebay, asked the seller if it was square, flat, not warped. He said he took it off and it looked Ok to him.
Not really a definitive answer....

I know this is not good practice....but using black high temp RTV in a very thin coating and sandwiching two gaskets instead of one....
How about that? If racer is right and it pulls down....might work.

daselbee

Commander
You know...something is whacked here.....Sparkie says it should be a bubble back, and the parts pages for this model AND the 1983 model both show bubble backs.
This is a flat back....

I have to do some more investigating here. I bet the powerhead from a 90 was put on, using the original115 carbs.

I looked at the piston sides thru the exhaust ports, and I would swear they were brand new. No wear, no nothing. Brand new looking.
This was very odd to me.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The parts page shows BOTH flat and bubble backs as 90% of the parts are the same. Verify the number on your block's freeze plug anyway to confirm if anything has been swapped around.

1984 was the last year for the flat back 115 as OMC changed to propshaft rated horsepower for 1985 and the 140 bubble back became the 115. The 140 crossflow was replaced in the line-up by the big block looper 140. The 115 flat back became the 100.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????---Not sure why you do not realize that the parts book show both models in one picture.----Only the early 135 and 140 models used the bubble back exhaust !!!!!!

daselbee

Commander
?????---Not sure why you do not realize that the parts book show both models in one picture.----Only the early 135 and 140 models used the bubble back exhaust !!!!!!

I am sorry...I did not state the point very well. What I was saying is that the PICTURE depicts a bubbleback only. It does not show the flatback part in the pictures. I see the two part numbers for two different covers, but they show only the bubble back part on the drawing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Back in 1984 those manuals were only available in factory dealers.-----Those folks knew the motors.----Internet / questioning people is now changing things I suppose.

daselbee

Commander
Well machine shop says they cannot straighten it. Maybe they don't want to attempt the job...maybe they see no money in it.....maybe they are afraid of breaking it....maybe they got too much other work...anyway....

The block is straight Boobie.

I am going look for some straight exhaust covers, and in the meantime, I will try the double gasket with RTV to seal it up.
The temps on that inner gasket will be higher than 140 tho.

The outer gasket should be OK with normal water temps, but that inner one is sure to get hotter. The black RTV is good up to 500*F if I remember right.

This will get the motor going until I can find good parts, and it is an easy enough job to pull it off if it doesn't work.

Guess what? This is my first fresh water motor. I was absolutely amazed at the ease of getting those 21 1/4-20 bolts out!!!
If that was a saltie, most of the bolts would have broken, I bet.

SparkieBoat

Captain
I have broken lots of bolts. I use anti corrosion stuff on most bolts that I install, a can of it is cheap enough and last a while. I have a early 80s 110 evinrude, I think it is an 84 but maybe an 83 I forgot, but it has a bubble back.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The outer exhaust cover is discontinued. This US dealer still has 3 new original ones in stock:
BARNACLE BILLS MARINE4584 ROUTE 47DELMONTNJ0831420521-856-785-9455barnaclebills@comcast.net03295033

This same dealer also has 4 new pics of the inner exhaust cover in stock.

Give him a call with your credit card number....

daselbee

Commander
Whew....EMD...thanks so much my man....that was over and above service for sure!

I see reasonable prices for these two parts...at least the prices they USED to sell for.

I will give them a call. Thanks again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The " bubble back " was first marketed as a 110 in 1986.---The decal said 110.--Remember they also maketed the 120 big block looper in 1986 and hp numbers are on the decals.