Welding....Aluminum?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for, so figured I would ask, I have a couple of areas that need to be welded on both of my aluminum hulled boats, basically filling holes and a couple of support brackets, I have a small 90 amp gas less wire feed welder, is it possible to do these small repairs with this welder? I have done some welding of steel, but never attempted to weld aluminum.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Welding....Aluminum?

I would have someone do it for you. I have a AC TIG welder and even with the proper equipment, it can be tough to do especially if you are not certain of the alloy that the boat is made of. Do it yourself and you run the risk of burning a bigger hole in the boat.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Let someone with experience do it or you my create a mess.

You need argon shielding gas to weld aluminum....... Gaseless welder will not work

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did some of my first mig welding of aluminum myself this past fall.
Borrowed co-workers welder. It had an argon mix sheilding gas and small spool gun.
I welded up a frame for my dock.
I have alot of steel welding experience but very little aluminum.
The welder made things pretty easy, but it wasn't something I would do on my own boat.
I practiced ALOT on scrap and luckily I did not have to make things pretty.
I would offer caution and steer you towards a pro too if the boat is worth much.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Agreee...........Spool gun for aluminum is the only way to go.............. when Mig welding

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys, I kind of figured as much, no big deal, the areas I needed to repair are really not that big, so I guess it would be cheaper letting a pro do it, over me fumbling around.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have a AC TIG welder and even with the proper equipment, it can be tough to do especially if you are not certain of the alloy that the boat is made of.
Not realy an issue. They use very few "senstive" alloys used in commerical products. You can weld "most" anything (5XXX-6XXX) using a 5356 alloy rod. You can weld anything aluminum with an 1199 rod ;)