Weird noise from lower unit after reseal!

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice
just did a transom reseal on my 1989 regal w/ the 4.3lx and alpha I stern drv. replaced all bellows, gimbal bearing, water hose and shift cable. did not separate lower from upper. i adjusted the shift cable exactly how the manual said to. checked (before starting) that the shaft is engaging in to forward and reverse. worked great. neutral is ok too. no dog gear clicking. when i fired her up (on the muffs) everything seemed to be working great until, i got the rpms up to about 2200. the lower is making a weird faint vibrating sound! in gear or out of gear!i know its not the u joints cause i inspected them when i had the drive off. also the sound and faint vibrating is prevalent in the lower. i dont remember any noise before i pulled the drive off. could it be that there is no load on the prop? any help would be much appreciated. thanks...

Last edited:

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Weird noise from lower unit after reseal!

Are you running it out of the water when you hear the noise?

luv2fishN.M.

Seaman Apprentice

Yes sir. running it on the muffs outa the water. i'm gonna pull the lower off today and see what i can find. my brother, who is half owner, told me that the last time him and his family had it out he was going full throttle to get speed to beach the boat. "WHAT IN THE H%&# did you just say???" anyway... he was in shallow water w/ the trim all the way down,:mad: and you guessed it, he hit the prop and stalled the motor. prop has a small ding but looked like it took on some force. what should i be looking for? i had a 1975 merc outboard inline 6 lower unit apart once. doesnt seem to be too complicated. any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you drop the lower you might check the prop shaft with a dial indicator to check for run out on the shaft. Look the prop over close also, either could cause a small vibration.
You should be able to get a free Merc service manual at the top of the forum in the "adults only" sticky. Get both, one for the engine and one for the drive. Should find the run out specs in the manual. Good luck!

cr2k

Captain

OR...running on muffs in gear slowly put your brothers head in to the prop and see if only one blade cuts him. Then you will know it's the prop shaft.