Weird Johnson OB Starting Problem

itiger

Cadet
I went fishing this past Saturday and had a weird experience with my 82' 25HP Johnson OB, which was running good before.

In the early morning, air temperature ~55F, water temperature ~72F, the OB only made one click sound when I turn the key. Tried another battery, same thing.

Used the trolling motor for a couple hours and tried the OB again - no luck. Then tried the pull start and succeeded after around 10 pulls. Turned the engine off and another pull start, no problem. The weird part is here: I tried turning the key again and the engine started this time, and it worked good the rest of the day.

What could be the problem? I don't want to have the same issue this time...

Any comments/idea/suggestions? Thanks.

danoutbard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Weird Johnson OB Starting Problem

The click comes from the solenoid right?

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

you will just have to replace the solenoid thats all.

itiger

Cadet

Is this a job that I can DIY? I think I am pretty handy, just not familiar with the outboard. Is there any video or pictures of the process available on this forum? Thank you very very much.

you will just have to replace the solenoid thats all.

Larry3215

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Replacing it is very easy. Just put all the wires back on the new one just the way they were on the old one. To be safe you could take a picture with your cell phone before you disconnect anything, but really, once you get the new one and compare it to the old one it will be obvious.

Just be 100% sure you have the battery pos cable disconnected or the main battery disconnect switch OFF before you start. if there is any doubt about the switch - remove the battery positive cable before you start.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do not start replacing parts until after you have serviced all connections of battery cables. Take both ends loose and scrub the connectors shiny. Give extra attention to where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine. Check the cables for weak spots. This is a common problem. Servicing those connections/cables should be an annual routine. Tight and clean looking is not good enough.

itiger

Cadet

Thanks Larry and JB. Your suggestions are very informative.

Did you have to take the cowling off to pull start? (I'm assuming that was the case.) Anyway, if you took the cowling off did you notice if the starter bendix was up against the flywheel? What can happen is the starter bendix sticks in the up position and when you engage the starter it doesn't have enough oomph to turn the engine over. The cure for that is a small amount of light grease on the starter shaft.

And JB's absolutely right, it gets expensive as hell just replacing parts without having an idea of what the problem really is. It MIGHT be a bad solenoid, but at least do some maintenance and testing first before throwing away your money. Also, if the solenoid were "stuck" you'd probably have a toasted starter motor.

If the maintenance items mentioned don't fix it for you there are some relatively easy tests to do to figure out what the problem is.

oxmax360

Seaman

Try jumping the solenoid, see it it starts, if so that would be the problem.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Ran into the same problem today; motor would not start. Checked compression, spark and all seemed good until the starter started dragging and slowing down; not the battery it was fully charged and put load test on it. Carried starter to generator shop and found out the brushes were shot; had them replaced for $35.00 and everything works fine now; motor fires on first time. May be something you want to try. Good luck

itiger

Cadet

yes, I took the cowling off to pull start and I am 90% sure the bendix was up against the flywheel. thanks very much.

Did you have to take the cowling off to pull start? (I'm assuming that was the case.) Anyway, if you took the cowling off did you notice if the starter bendix was up against the flywheel? What can happen is the starter bendix sticks in the up position and when you engage the starter it doesn't have enough oomph to turn the engine over. The cure for that is a small amount of light grease on the starter shaft.

And JB's absolutely right, it gets expensive as hell just replacing parts without having an idea of what the problem really is. It MIGHT be a bad solenoid, but at least do some maintenance and testing first before throwing away your money. Also, if the solenoid were "stuck" you'd probably have a toasted starter motor.

If the maintenance items mentioned don't fix it for you there are some relatively easy tests to do to figure out what the problem is.