Weight down....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I had put on a few pounds the last few years. In 1998 I was 180. Since then I hit a high of 210 (i'm 5'7" and 46 years of age). My doctor had a small cow when my blood work came back. My triglycerides and cholesterol had creeped out of the normal range and were officially in the high range. My blood pressure was up to 210/89. Doc wants to put me on all sorts of medicine to reduce pressure and cholesterol and something else. Yikes! I don't take anything then and I didn't want to start, especially as this was going to cost me about $200 a month! I told him no. He starts writing prescription, I asked him if he heard me... I said "no, I am not going to take medication because I got fat. Lets treat the fat first, then see if the other systems start working right". He agreed and suggested the Atkins diet. So November I start Atkins. It sucked. So I drop that and start my own that I know worked every time I wanted to lose a few lbs in the past. It's your basic Biafran diet...... No Food... Ever see any obese Biafrans in National Geographic? :D Really, I eat lots of veggies and chicken. Some pork and beef, but much smaller portions. And lots and lots and lots of coffee and diet soda. Need that caffeine.<br /><br />Went to medical yesterday and got weighed and blood pressure taken. I am now 187 lbs and blood pressure is 200/84. Want to get the lower number even lower. So far so good. Dropping the fat seems to be doing the trick. Will get blood work done when I hit 180 and see what the new numbers are. <br /><br />There are other pluses too. Like my clothes fit. Actually they are getting loose. I can crouch down and my tool belt doesn't cut into my stomach. I can cross my legs to put on my socks and shoes. I can get up from the couch with my daughter still sitting on my lap. My injured/reconstructed foot & ankle do not hurt so much, the osteo doesn't seem to bother me as much, my knee (it was crushed too) doesn't "go out" as often and I can work around the house on weekends on my feet twice as long as I used to before I need to rest and raise my foot. So I am a happy camper. Oh yeah, I look really hot too.... Well, OK, I look nice. <br /><br />Wife is happy too!<br /><br />Wish me luck with the blood work in a month or so.<br /><br />PS, How much faster do you think my boat will be now?

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Weight down....

Congrats, Mark. I need to shave a few pouns this spring too. Gotta get in shape for the upcoming tournament season ya know! I did a modified Atkins diet last spring and it worked well for me. I didn't try to keep under a certain carb number, I was just extra conscious of them and did eat a lot of low carb stuff. I found the biggest key to be regular exercise. I will probably start something similar soon, but with more emphasis on exercise this year. I have an endurance tourney in early May.<br /><br />The key to diets IMHO is finding what works for you. Everybody is different. What works for one person, may not for another. I believe willpower is also very important to success.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Bp of 200/84. Yikes. You need medication now and I mean right now to control that BP. Goal of Bp is now 125/85. <br />You are seriously at risk for a stroke or heart attack with a bp of 200.<br />Congrats on losing weight but get that BP under control. Good luck

KRS

Banned

Great job. I need to drop a few. I thought about cutting a few holes in my bulkheads to lighten things up a bit, any thoughts? ;)

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Mark,<br /><br />I don't mean to sound like an alarmist and you are obviously aware of the need to change but here's some info you may not know:<br /><br />There is a way of measuring your height and weight ratio called body-mass index or BMI. It is your weight in kg divided by the square of your height in meters. The "normal" range is between 18.4 and 24.9. Yours was 33.04 before your recent efforts. :eek: <br /><br />At your current weight of 187 pounds, your BMI is 29.4, about the same as mine. To get to the top of the range, you should be about 158 pounds. Of course this doesn't take into account your particular body's "normal" proportions, but you're getting there!<br /><br />Way to go and good luck. I need it too! :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bp of 200/84. Yikes.
OOPS! My bad. My BP was 125/89, now 120/84. <br /><br />Not 200. No, I am not about to explode. :D <br /><br />It's lack of food that is making me light headed and prone to mistakes....<br /><br />Professor, At the doc's office I stood on two metal plates that sent a voltage up one leg and down the other. They measured my BMI with that. They are telling me I should be 170. I will need to get out and do some serious sports to drop to and maintain that weight. But seeing as I can't run or jump (do to injury) that is going to make it hard. So as part of the basement finishing project, we are allocating one area just for workout equipment. I can do bicycles, weights, bags, etc. Plus I'll be able to get that darn exercise cycle out of my bedroom! But where will I hang my pants? :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea I am trying to loose some also.<br />My boat won't let me take the cover off her. :D <br /><br />On diet plus some apidex will help.

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well done Mark!! (the voltage trick up your leg, down the other would have me bothering about in-between-builtup!) take care.<br />Frank

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

"At the doc's office I stood on two metal plates that sent a voltage up one leg and down the other."<br /><br />Kinda sounds like a scene from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". ;) :p <br /><br />"...seeing as I can't run or jump (do to injury) that is going to make it hard."<br /><br />I hear that! Had herniated disc surgery in '97 and have never made it all the way back. :(

SoulWinner

Commander

Congrats Mark! Last summer I lost a lot of weight. I had gotten up to 210, thats big for my 5'8" hight. My ideal weight is about 175-180, I made it 185, and then bounced back to 190. I am now 187, and still shooting for 180. I am fortunate that I can still exercise without restrictions, and Mrs SoulWinner is getting a recumbent bike this week. That should help.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I'm so happy to hear "your bad" on the BP numbers. You scared the bejesus out of me with those original numbers

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Congrats, I wish I was doing as well. I am 5'8" and weigh in at 245. I had gotten up to 260 and said no way. My killer is cokes and honey buns. I used to drink the equivelent of (2) 2 liters of Coke a day. I am down to about a 12oz can a day now, sometimes less, sometimes a little more. Just cutting the Coke back has brought the weight down that much. Good luck to you, I wish I was where you started.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wish I was where he's at? :eek: <br />187, I ain't seen 187 in about 10 years or so.<br /><br />I tip the scales at a little over 300 and at 6' tall is just a tad much, but it will come off now, I can feel it. :)

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

mark way to go, im at 250 5-0 5'9" 110/70bp,165 colestorol, diabetus,apnea,knees worn out,and taken about 15 pills a day, got ten years on ya, better keep it off. i do 'IT' too.<br /><br />any body have a stomach bypass?

LazyJ

Seaman

What kills me is snacking in front of the TV at night. I've been on my annual "no eat anything after 1pm" diet and have lost 25lbs in six weeks. Thats about all I'll get from this diet because by now I'm going to bed at 6pm and getting up at 2am to start cooking!

crab bait

Captain

honestly,, any doctor who perscribs the atkins diet ought the have their lincense revolted..<br /><br />it not good for the long haul.. it will/can increase your bad blood lipids an bp overtime.. <br /><br />seriously,, i'd change doctor's.. an i'm attimate about that..<br /><br />try the south beach diet.. not no one ,not no nutritionist can dispute it.. <br /><br />it's basicly no BAD carbs an no BAD fats.. all good carbs an all good fats..<br /><br />glad to see you doing what you gotta do to survive another 46 years..

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My Great Grandmother (moms side) lived to 104, and most of my grand parents made it to the high 80's. No one died of heart attack. All died from unusual stuff.<br /><br />The oddest was my Dad's mother. Her doctors thought she was showing signs of Alzheimer's in her 70's. She was forgetful. She would forget where things were. But she seemed normal for months on end, then she would get parinoid, forgetful, not take her medicine. Then get better for a few months. She managed to outlive her husband and was able to care for herself in her own house in Schnectady, NY. <br /><br />She died from a stroke in her sleep. My Dad wanted to know if Alzheimer's was in his future. Apparently testing for it is not 100% and very expensive. When she was alive, her doctors told Dad she had the symptoms, and that it probably was Alzheimer's, and no point in spending her money on tests. When she died, the doctor ordered an autopsy at Dad's request. Turns out she died from a stroke. But not a big one. She had been having small strokes for years. They said it was hard to tell, but she probably had between 40 and 60 strokes. Her brain was full of scar tissue and dead areas. It was amazing that she never lost her speech or became paralized. Or lost her ability to take care of herself. She had no sign of Alzheimer's.

crab bait

Captain

anyone interested in not having heart dease , alzhem, diabetes,stokes, an arthritis..??<br /><br />check out an read about high doses of fish oil..<br /><br />just a heads up ,,a random act of kindness..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good Job Mark! I'm like you, I prefer to try correcting problems myself instead of making the medical industry richer.<br /><br />I must be a freak of nature or something. I eat lots of McD's since I work for a owner/operator and get my food for free. I told my doc at my last check up what I ate when he asked me. His eyes got big and wide and immediately requested my blood work. After 3 weeks not hearing from the doc, my wife called him. She was more concerned than me (she loves me) about my blood work. Huh, things looked pretty good across the board. Cholestrol is a tad high, but condsidering my diet, it should be higher.<br /><br />What keeps me in shape is I don't sit down much, I'm always up doing something. The only time I sit down is in the evenings or when I'm posting here at iboats. No matter how sore of muscles I have from working, I keep at it. I don't give into the pain because if I get soft and lazy, so will my body. I normally carry about 175 to 180 pounds. Weighed myself last night, I'm actually down to 171. I think it is from all the work from that ice storm we had back in early january. I'm still splitting and stackin wood and have about 10 to 14 estimated cords of logs to be renedered into fire wood.<br /><br />I got to git r done before boating season begins.