Weekly Q&A 8/15-8/21

LadyFish

Admiral
1. When does school start in your area?<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing?<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ?<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what?<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be?<br /> :)

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Weekly Q&A 8/15-8/21

1. When does school start in your area? Aug. <br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? Cycling <br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? 95 degrees <br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? Camping near the ocean <br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®? Regular <br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? Too many irons in the fire <br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven? Cross country. 3000 miles? <br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? Spiders :eek: <br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? She has none <br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? Log onto Iboats!

PW2

Commander

1. When does school start in your area? Sept<br /><br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? Snomobiling<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? 55 deg<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? Going out by myself at age 9 or 10 catching salmon on the west side of Whidbey Island in Washington State<br /><br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®? Regular<br /><br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? Fixing up an old (1993) Jeep to sell.<br /><br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br />In college, we drove from Bellingham Wa to Palm Beach, Fla. on spring break. Once you are through Montana, Florida is just around the corner! Had to sell the car in Fla and fly back home!<br /><br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? Snakes-any kind of snake.<br /><br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? Constant questions.<br /><br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? Be sure to check to see that the plug is in!

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1. When does school start in your area?<br />Last week in August<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing?<br />Besides sitting at this computer, I'm in the middle of a basement re-model that's on hold due to lack of $$<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?<br />This year it looks to be about 60*, but this is not our typical August. To venture a guess, probably 70*<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?<br />Camping with my family, including 2 aunts, 7 cousins, and my neighbors---about 20 of us in all!<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?<br />Classic<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ?<br />See "hobbies", above<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br />Flew out to Seattle to meet my parents who had pulled their 24' trailer out there then they went on a cruise to Alaska. We took turns leisurely driving back to Columbus, stopping to see the sights. Lots of "windshield time".<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what?<br />I used to believe I'd die crossing a RR crossing, so I'm pretty careful when I do. Don't know if it qualifies as a "phobia", tho<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?<br />My wife's memory... She remembers EVERYTHING, including all the times I might have 'slighted' her.<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be?<br />Take a boating course offered by either the Power Squadron or the USCGA. Best boating education I ever received!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

1. When does school start in your area? -not sure, no kids but I think last week was registration for the High School here...<br /><br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? -Bird huntng, my Wirehaired Pointers, shoot on a Sporting Clays league<br /><br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? -59F.. can get chilly tho low so far this month was 45F.<br /><br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? - Fishing in northern Minnesota.<br /><br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®? - Classic Coke .. still think it's not the same as the old original tho..<br /><br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? - '87 21' Sylvan c/c rebuild, finish landscaping the house ... finished building the place a year ago -took some time away from it- now digging and moving more dirt.. <br /><br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven? - Madison Wi. to Mexico City, Mexico .. never again!<br /><br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? - Denver Airport ..lol<br /><br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? -no spouse .. date every so often so no big quirk issues.<br /><br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? - save your money - spare change and all! <br />Its a sickness and you may want professional help later :p

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

1. When does school start in your area? Aug. 16<br /><br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? gardening,reading,internet<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? 75<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? Traveling to Missouri every summer to see grandparents(lots of river fishing and waterskiing)<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?<br />Regular<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? repainting boat trailer<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br />From CA. to Rocky Mountains(Estes Park)<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? None<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?None<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? Don't forget the plug!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. School starts? Dunno.<br />2. Other hobbies? Hunting, bird watching.<br />3. Average nighttime low? Around 75.<br />4. Favorite childhood memories? Summer Camp in Maine.<br />5. Favorite style Coke? Diet.<br />6. DIY project? None current.<br />7. Longest drive? 5,000 miles.<br />8. My phobia? Claustrophobia. . . tight places, crowds, traffic.<br />9. Her quirk that drives me nuts? None.<br />10. One tip to a new boater? Get a Service Manual.

ZmOz

Captain

1. When does school start in your area?<br />Early September...just graduated in March, this is the first time I don't have to go back! :D <br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing?<br />Fixing my boat :D <br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?<br />60-ish<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?<br />Buying my boat<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?<br />Don't drink coke...only beer. :D <br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ?<br />Building an air compressor from two lawnmower engines.<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br />About 600 miles.<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what?<br />Getting stuck somewhere without a flashlight...that will happen to anyone who's flashlight burns out ~3 miles into a CAVE! :rolleyes: <br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?<br />Can't think of anything right now...<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be?<br />Don't forget the oil. :D

one more cast

Captain

1. When does school start in your area? sept.<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? Hunting,eBay,love motorcycles but none at the present time.<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? 50's-60's (45 last week)<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?riding go carts, mini bikes,and snowmobiles<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?none<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? all on hold<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?Upstate NY to Atlanta several times<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? public speeking<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? none really<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? have to think about that one?

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

1. August<br /><br />2. Gambling<br /><br />3. Normally 78. This week been in the 60 range.<br /><br />4. My first bike,69 Suziki 350 T. That same summer got to drive to La. to see Grandparents, I was 15.<br /><br />5.Regular.<br /><br />6. Finish painting house, then shop.<br /><br />7. Ft.Worth to South Carolina to see daughter graduate boot camp.<br /><br />8. None I can think of.<br /><br />9. Talking on and on about her job. I don't bore her about my job.<br /><br />10. Use common sense.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

1. When does school start in your area? soon, I am sure<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? woodwork, golf, flirtin', whitewaterin', salmon and elk hunting,etc.<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? 40-85 <br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? I weren't assembled till I was out of childhood<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®? none<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? building mahogany boat<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven? I've driven to most the lower 48 and Alaska<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? clausto<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? too nice<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? play safe

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

1. Started wednesday, the 11th..<br />2. Guitars/music, and i'm thinking of finding an old truck to restore/hot rod...<br />3. web site says 74.8... yeah right! <br />4. First guitar..<br />5. Diet..<br />6. restoring a basket case 1968 19foot mako..(working on the trailer first) <br />7. Jelico Tennessee to West palm, with a side trip to drop off my cousin in Deland FL., straight thru.. 18 hours and right near 1000 miles.. never again!<br />8. females operating boats, (no offense LF and Bassy), dairy products, and flying/heights...<br />9. none..<br />10. Use the 4 X $ formula.. Take the amount you think something related to your boat will cost, then multiply it by 4 to get the actual end cost...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

1. When does school start in your area? Feburary<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? couch potatoing<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?40<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?playing 'cribbage' during winter<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?Pepsi-Max :D <br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? taking a company that messed up my car to court<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?The north of the state. Round trip - 7,500 miles<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? Cockroaches and heights<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? always being right!<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? DON'T!

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When does school start in your area? after labor day<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? .shooting sport and playing pool<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?mid forties.<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? spending summers om my grandparents ranch<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?regular.<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ? just installed three different power points,<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?to seattle washington twice a year. <br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? snakes.<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?no one special right now.<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be?<br />take a safe boating course.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1. When does school start in your area?<br /><br />August 23.<br /><br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing?<br /><br />Playign guitar, soccer, tennis, golf and video games.<br /><br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?<br /><br />Not sure, but I would guess the mid sixties.<br /><br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?<br /><br />Just any one of many times out playing with friends. Can't narrow it down to just one.<br /><br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?<br /><br />Classic. I probably drink five or six a day.<br /><br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ?<br /><br />Just finished painting the hallway, stairs and two bedrooms. Currently doing some mods to my Dodge Durango and will be replacing the awnings outside with shutters. Thinking about re-doing the bathroom as well.<br /><br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br /><br />London, England.<br /><br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what?<br /><br />Spiders.... they must all die.<br /><br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?<br /><br />Pinching my chest or other parts of my body all the time. That hurts!<br /><br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be?<br /><br />Use common sense and don't be an idiot out on the water.

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. When does school start in your area?<br />August<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing?<br />Hunting<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?<br />93<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?<br />Dove Hunting<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®? Deit<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s) ?<br />None<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?<br />Souther Utah (Panguitch Lake miles?)<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what?<br />Spiders Snakes<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?<br />Leaving the house when your supposed to be somewhere at that time<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? <br />Got the plug???

LadyFish

Admiral

1. When does school start in your area? Today<br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing?Sewing, cooking/entertaining, painting, DIY projects<br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August?mid 80's<br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory?fishing with my Grandfather, doing arobatics with my Uncle in his bi-plane<br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®?Diet<br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself)project(s)?None at the moment<br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven?Going home, 33 hours each way<br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what?spiders, snakes, heights<br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?I'll take the 5th<br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be?Become a member of iboats

gaugeguy

Captain

1. When does school start in your area? Aug. 31st <br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides boating/fishing? Hunting, golf, softball <br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for mid August? 55-60 <br />4. What's your favorite childhood memory? Fishing with Dad <br />5. What's your favorite variety of Coca-Cola®? Classic <br />6. What’s your current DIY (do-it-yourself) project(s)? Cutting and splitting wood for winter <br />7. What's the furthest trip you've ever driven? NH to CA twice <br />8. Do you have a phobia? If so, what? Snakes freak me out <br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy? Not going there <br />10. If you could only give one tip to a new boater what would it be? Take a safety course

Carphunter

Commander

1. When does school start in your area?<br />Today also.<br /><br />2. What other hobbies do you have besides fishing/boating?<br />Hunting, camping, nosepicking, just the usual guy stuff. :p <br /><br />3. What is the average night time low in your area for August?<br />Low to mid 60's I would say, but heck the weathermen are only right half the time, so I will say anywhere from 30 to 80 degrees.<br /><br />4. Whats your favorite childhood memory?<br />When I found my Dads stash of nudie mags :eek: ..........just kidding. Way too many to narrow it to one.<br /><br />5. Whats your favorite variety of Coca Cola?<br />The original of course.<br /><br />6. Whats your current DIY (do it yourself) projects?<br />At the present, I am building a 30'x40' garage.<br /><br />7. Whats the furthest trip you have ever driven?<br />Not too far really. To Florida.<br /><br />8. Do you have a Phobia? if so, what?<br />...."Homophobia"?...........actually, a Fear of flying. "Fly-o-phobia", or is that fear of flies?<br /><br />9. What quirk does your spouse/friend have that drives you crazy?<br />Her driving...............period!<br /><br />10. If you could give one tip to a new boater, what would it be?<br />Do the exact opposite of what I say.