Weekly Q&A 7/18-7/25

LadyFish

Admiral
1. How many years have you been boating<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Weekly Q&A 7/18-7/25

1. How many years have you been boating?=20+<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?=Fishing<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?=10' Jon boat<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating?=Too much<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?=Computers, pets, model building.<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?=yes<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?=yes<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?=no<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?=no<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?=no

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks SBN. I have to say that in answer to question #10. Mr. LF is a terrible backseat driver when its my time to Captain. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let's see here<br /><br />1. How many years have you been boating?<br /><br />Since the age of 3, so that would be 37 years.<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /><br />Skiing, cruising, and just floating around in the water.<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br /><br />My parents boat was a 1967 Glaspar Avalon w/ 1969 Merc 1250. I used that till I got a 1986 Chris Craft Cavalier (17') with the same engine. Now I have a 1996 Glastron GS-160 w/ 1979 Merc 140<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating?<br /><br />Usually at the minimun every weekend, and a few times during the week, but with my shoulder problems, I can't go unless I can find someone to go with me to help launch and retieve.<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br /><br />Snow skiing and Ballroom Dancing.<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br /><br />I did until the shoulder problems.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br /><br />N/A, Don't have either.<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br /><br />Nope.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br /><br />Nope.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?<br /><br />Yes. My brother. I left him and his friends 10 miles by boat and about 25 miles by walking/road from where I launched. He walked to my other brothers and rode in with him the next morning. He wasn't only telling me how to drive the boat, but he had pot on his person AND in my boat and I found it and thew it oferboard at 35mph, he yelled and screamed about that till I dropped them off at the beach. As I was backing up, I said "If you can get to the car before I leave, I'll give you a ride home. If not, then have a nice walk"<br /><br />Not real nice I know, but taught him a good lesson that I mean it when I say "NO DRUGS AT ALL!!".

LadyFish

Admiral

YIKES! Mercury140-I6
15.gif
<br /><br />Bringing drugs on someone else's boat is the best reason I know for dumping their butt overboard right along with the stash.
4.gif

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

1. boating since i was a little snapper... more than 20 years..<br /><br />2. Fishing..<br /><br />3. 12 aluminum v-hull, 5 hp gamefisher..<br /><br />4. could'nt say, dunno.. Prolly way to much..<br /><br />5. Guitar player, keeping things running & repaired around the house..<br /><br />6. Yep..<br /><br />7. N/A Single and loving it..<br /><br />8. other than the occasional saftey inspection, no stops, no tickets...<br /><br />9. Many times.. Been towed.. Flood bilge, aux bilge hose to bypass raw water pump, cruise on back...<br /><br />10. Yes... Best friend.. Deposited him and family on dock... Pops.. told him to "have another cold one and zip yer lips"... :)

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

1. 15 years<br /><br />2. fishing and water sports<br /><br />3. 12' grumman with honda 7.5hp<br /><br />4. thousands<br /><br />5. Computers, trumpet, and playing with my kids.<br /><br />6. I do now that I have found Iboats!!<br /><br />7. Yes she's the reason we got the runabout in 03<br /><br />8. My father-inlaw got one on my boat this year.<br />He grabbed the wrong hat that still had last years fishing licence in it. Judge let him off when he showed that his 2004 licence was older than the date of the ticket.<br /><br />9. No but I have had to use the trolling motor to get back.<br /><br />10. Yes but it was my boss who happens to be a retired lieutenant comander who retired after 30 years and working his way up through from E-1 through O-4. I figured I would keep my mouth shut, and I learned quite a few things about boat handling from him.

one more cast

Captain

1. How many years have you been boating<br /> ... about 25 years<br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /> ... fishing<br />3. What was your first boat?<br /> ...a 14' fiberglass with a 3.6 firestone for $20 <br />4. How much do you spend annually boating?<br /> ... not much<br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br /> ... trying to get the new place in order.<br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br /> ... not so much anymore due to my arthritis.<br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br /> ... not boating just fishing but shes getting better.<br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br /> ... no<br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br /> ...yes, fixed the problem, paddle, trolling motor.<br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?<br /> ... I said shut up or I'm throwing you overboard. worked good.

LadyFish

Admiral

LMAO at OMC's #10. I'll try that next time. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. How many years? 60.<br />2. Purpose of boating? Fishing or. . . um, fishing.<br />3. First boat? Homemade Jon.<br />4. How much do I spend? Never figured it out.<br />5. Other hobbies? Playing with any sort of machinery.<br />6. Do I maintain my stuff? Yup.<br />7. Does spouse or S.O. share my love of boating? None of the above.<br />8. Did I ever get a ticket? Yep. 10mph in a 5mph zone.<br />9. Ever stranded? Nope.<br />10. Did I ever have a back seat driver? What did I do? Yes. I handed him the helm and said, "Here, you do it."

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

1. How many years have you been boating<br /> 50+<br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /> fishing<br />3. What was your first boat?<br /> self built at age of 12 from mostly plywood<br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? <br /> this year is a lot cause I am building new boat<br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br /> hunting, golf, archery, motorhead, woodwork, boatbuilding, gunsmithing, flirtin, etc...<br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br /> absolutely<br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? yup<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? been stopped many times just never ticketed<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? yup, many times...got towed a couple, but mostly fixed em.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? yup...I thanked him...was running upriver when my attention was diverted for a flash, and BSD shook me and saved the day from me beaching the jetboat nosefirst into a rock wall at about 40mph...me bad sometimes<br /> :D

SoulWinner

Commander

1. How many years have you been boating<br /><br />I got my boat about two years ago, but my dad was Florida Marine Patrolman and I went out on the water him alot when I was a kid.<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /><br />Fishing<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br /><br />1977 14' Winner It was a POS<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br /><br />Don't know<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br />Playing my Bagpipes, playing with my puppies, studying the bible, listening to talk radio<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br />Not til the warrantee runs out<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br /><br />Nope, unfortunately<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? <br /><br />Stopped a couple of times, given a warning for not having my running lights on. It was really stupid.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br /><br />Yes, ran out of gas. Pushed the boat about four miles befoe an FWC officer came up and pulled in the last 300 yards.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?<br /><br />Never. On board I am the captain.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

1. How many years have you been boating? About 35 years, since I was a youngun.<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose? Used to be skiing growing up, now just cruising and fishing.<br /><br />3. What was your first boat? 18' Gladstron outboard(parents). My first is a 12' aluminum boat, 15 hp.<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures). Not much.<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br />Gardening,reading,computers,target shooting,music.<br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? Hubby does.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? Yes. That's what's so great about it. Sharing fun times.<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? Nope.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? Nope.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? I tend to be the backseat driver on the boat,but I'm getting better as Hubby gets more experience.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

1. How many years have you been boating<br />About 15<br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br />Catching more fish than LF<br />3. What was your first boat?<br />1965 Texas Maid<br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br />Rough estimate, everything including tackle, 2000.00<br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br />Grandkids, LF<br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br />Some myself, some by friend in boat repair business<br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br /> :D <br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br />Stopped once cause your sisters stupid BF couldn't keep his mouth shut. No tickets<br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? <br />3 times: Fuel pump broke, towed by CG. Dumbass friend drove jetboat onto sand bar, spent the night getting eaten by mesquitoes waiting for high tide. That night you wanted to ....never mind.<br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? <br />I live with a backseat driver so I'm used to it and just tune my ears into the sound of the motor. A buddy is a licensed Capt. and he has a tendency to get on my nerves when he's with us but I know how he is so I just ignore it.<br /><br />Now in response to a couple of LF comments: <br />I am not a terrible backseat driver, you do a fine job of captaining the boat.......as long as we're in the middle of the bay. Docking is a whole other story & I do get nervous but I want you to learn so you keep practicing & I'll do my best to bite my tongue. Another thing you need to work on is the GPS. North is not straight up! :D <br />When I say you are a strong woman I'm talking about your character. You ain't throwing me overboard on your best day. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Oh boy! Damage control. I have three words for you Mr LF..........GOT LIFE VEST?
4.gif
<br /><br />1. How many years have you been boating<br />Over 40.<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br />Fishing!<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br />A wooden row boat my grandfather made.<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? <br />Depends on whats broke. But on the average normal year $2,000+<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br />Cooking, entertaining, sewing, DIY projects, and keeping Mr.LF on his toes.<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br />Not yet, but I did learn how to decarb an engine last weekend.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? YES<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br />Not personally, but the captain was.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br />Yes, plenty. Anyway we could.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? <br />YES. The way I handle it is to let the Captain do his job with a few constructive comments and suggestions in case he panics.
28.gif
;) :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

41<br />fishing and just getting out there<br />1971 Chrysler runabout.<br />$300-400<br />eating, photography, eating, working, eating<br />yes<br />who?<br />yes, stopped for making a wake in the Milwaukee harbor, while I was towing a disabled 19'? bowrider, thru whitecaps. I was pulling them with my 15' alum with a 15hp.<br />Sunk a canoe once, got to shore, walked 3 miles to get the truck.<br />yes, I emptied the backseat and told him where he could buy his own boat.

f_inscreenname

Commander

1. How many years have you been boating. 30+<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose? fun<br /><br />3. What was your first boat? 8’ plywood flat bottom row boat/ 3hp Evenrude <br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? Way to much (my total also includes a restore of a 33 year old boat that should have been crushed when I got it)<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have? Hobbies...with two kids under 4 what are hobbies???<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? I do everything except machine work.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? Used to but the kid thing again.<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? Yes many times and knock on wood only one.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? yes having classic boats for the last 15 years its going to happen. The three time it happened when I couldn't limp it back to the ramp. 2 times I was towed and one time I was to far away to even ask for a tow so I left it at a friendly homeowners dock and went and got my truck and trailer. Next day I left truck and trailer at neighborhood ramp and being a Monday no one was around. Ended up walking the boat around shoreline and piers for about a mile and a half (i am sure we looked like fools to the people who saw us). Got boat out and on the way out I noticed a sign posted saying to not have any contact with the water due to some sort of outbreak. Luckily to sign was supposed to be taken down a week before. Still... <br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? It is hard to hear them over a screaming 360ci with through hull exhaust. Most tend to just hold on.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

1. How many years have you been boating?<br />A) Since 72' when I bought my first boat. Lets' see....that makes it...uhhh...carry the 2 and take the square of that divided by the other thingy..carry the leftovers and don't add nothin'....somethin like 32years.....<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br />A) Gettin' out on the water and doin what's best at the time.....like when she herself and I go out, it may be just to ride or other times drowned a worm or two. Most of the time with herself it's just to have some quiet time together. With my Dad it's just to fish.<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br />A) 72' StarCraft SuperSport with a 66' 40hp Rude.<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br />A) Don't know fer sure. $60 for year pass at local marina...$30 for fishing license for herself and I....Course there's gas (ain't got a clue on that one)....Beer (I mean meds) if that counts...don't know. Boat license only counts every three years here in Ohio...don't apply now..does it? Trailer license every year...don't know...herself does that. Bait, lures, line, oil and gear lube for engine, parts, and various stuff...NADA...perks for owning a bait, tackle, boating supplies and repair shop.<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br />A) Messin' with SBN...(just kiddin':-D ) Fishing. I like collecting and restoring old outboards. Fishing. Spending time with the family. Fishing. Walking the fields and river banks looking for aritfacts (lots of Indian Nations used to live around here). Fishing. Spending time with herself....is that considered a hobby???? Fishing. The shop!!!! Seems more of a hobby than a business. Did I mention fishing?<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br />A) My own.<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating?<br />A) Shoot! Herself gets out on the river more than me!! She launches and recovers by herself. I think it's pretty neat.<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence?<br />A) Nope. Not even once.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br />A) Yeah. Once. Got a load of water from the local gas station. Paddled back. Lucky it weren't far.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it?<br /> :D :D :D :) <br />A) Yes to that one. How did I handle it? Told him if he didn't like the way I piloted the boat....get out and walk. No more problems. (True story!) It was one of my outlaws. No matter what ya' talked about or what ya' was doing, he had done it, knew ALL about it or knew how to fix it. So herself, one fine Sunday afternoon said that we was going to the river with said above outlaw and wife (she's OK. Really neat person). Ok says I. Well....after going through the launch process with "him" telling us what to do and what we were doing wrong and cuising up the river with him telling me how I should be using the throttle and steering the boat and what to do when other boats approched, I just had enough. So I just stopped the boat, turned the key off and said "Allen....if ya' don't like the way I drive...git out and walk". No more problems. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

1. How many years have you been boating = Since 6-7 years old in one form or another<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?=fishing<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?= big drift log then we learned to makes rafts<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).= 500 - 2000<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?= wife, kittens, kites, ham radio, cooking, model trains, hot wheels, slot cars, rc cars, wood working, model cars, black powder shooting, modern fire arms, RV camping, leather working, driving and exploring different areas, Uggg getting tired of typing.. if a 6-14 year old boy would like it then I still do! Oh yes Full time hobby = IBOATS :D <br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?= yes<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? = We enjoy doing almost anything together<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? = Stopped and or boarded many times but never ticketed for anything<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back? = no<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Many times. Who? = my fishing partner Keith. How did you handle it? = and always the same "Shut the blank up or get out!" Your choice :) <br /><br />#10 to my fishing partner<br />Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? many times Who? me How did you handle it? = and always the same "Shut the blank up or get out!" Your choice :)

oddjob

Commander

1. How many years have you been boating<br /><br />Counting the auto mobile gas tank I navigated up and down Hudson Creek ...30 Years..<br /><br />2. What is your primary boating purpose?<br /><br />Fishing and freedom.<br /><br />3. What was your first boat?<br /><br />The gas tank.<br /><br />4. How much do you spend annually boating? (And yes GF, that includes Musky lures).<br /><br />Dont know, Less than I would spend on Golf<br /><br />5. What other hobbies do you have?<br /><br />Hunting, Camping, guitar,Swinmming, body boarding, sports, history electronics. pool ,voosball(I'm the best)<br /><br />6. Do you do your own maintenance and repair?<br /><br />As much as possible. Nearly everything<br /><br />7. Does your spouse or significant other share your love of boating? No.<br /><br />8. Have you ever been stopped or ticketed for a boating offence? Been stopped many times. Never ticketed.<br /><br />9. Have you ever been stranded? How did you get back?<br /><br />No.<br /><br />10. Have you ever experienced a back seat driver onboard? Who? How did you handle it? just the wife once...I called it a day after an hour and a half.<br /><br />--------------------<br />It's not just boating, it's an adventure