Weekender boats

stemar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,<br />Could you please give your opinion for buying a Weekender boat between 25 and 30 ft, for 4 people, for saltwater and some watersports(tubing and wakeboard). I was really interested in Bayliner (1994, 2655 ciera model) or Maxum (1990, 25ft scr model) but I read some bad comments for Bayliners.<br />If any of you has any experience with these boats or any other similar type of boat, please let me know.<br />Thnaks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Weekender boats

I have owned 3 Regals from 25-32 feet and have been happy with all of them and highly recommend .The 255 ambassador was by far the biggest 25 ft boat on the market and the nearest and dearest to our heart.The boat was fantastic.The aft cabin is bigger than any boat we looked at up to 34 feet.Even bigger than our current 32 footer.It performed well with a 5.7 v8 and would not recommend smaller.Hull is very solid and never any osmosis problems.Color fade was our only complaint but that is with any hull other than white.I dont know what year they stopped making that model but it may be a little older than what you are looking at.Maybe 1990 or so.Charlie

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Regal is nicely designed boat, great layout. Searay sundancer is the one I chose, the layout was'nt as nice but it had a few toys that I did'nt find on the Regal, they packed alot into a small aftcabin, and is light enough to trailer.<br /><br /> Jim

stemar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for your replies.<br />I found on the boating classifieds a maxum and bayliner which cover my needs but I know nothing about these two brands. Is someone out there have any experience with those boats?<br />Thanks

johnrk

Recruit

I have owned 3 Bayliners: 1992 Ciera 2255,1997 Ciera 2355 and currently a 1997 Ciera 2655;the last two with 5.7 litre carb'd V8s.All have proven to be excellent weekend cruisers.They are dependable,affordable and retain good resale values.Tech support by Bayliner in Washington State is excellent.They call you back within the hour to answer your questions and spend a lot of time with you on the phone and always offer to send you written materials if needed.Dealer support on new and used boats is also good.Bayliner manufacturers small runabouts to yachts. John

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Stemar... before I bought the searay this this spring I owned an older bayliner cuddy.I looked at some 97 and newer ciera's and was impressed with quality improvments.the older one's did have a some problems with fit and finish. If the interior is in good shape and the boat has been maitained don't be afraid to buy a Bayliner or a Maxum.With any used boat especialy one over 10 years old make sure you have the engine and sterndrive looked at. Stuff like the boots, and cooling system need to be replaced on any boat, this is very expensive, and if not done can cause major damage. Also make sure you have a high h.p. engine for water sports.<br /><br /><br /> Good luck<br /> Jim

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many 4 sleepers can be poor performers. Try several before you buy.<br /><br />Some are tippy, some tend to go down the water at a tilt when you get all aboard (try them with your usual crew on board each time). Some have too small an engine for most water sports, others need to work the engine too hard and at too high an rpm to just stay on plane.<br /><br />Note, some and can be under-equipped / optioned to really weekend aboard.<br /><br />How do you shower, sleep, and cook?, Do you fit in the beds, dinette, head?, How do you get hot water? Can you leave a light on and the refer working for more than 6 hours without draining down the battery such that the main engine will not re-start? If everyone brings a jacket, where do they stow? How do you make coffee in the morning? You need to list what you want to do and then assure yourself that the boat you are looking at is properly equipped to do those functions. <br /><br />Some designs have a hard to access mid-cabin. Often this is over-looked as the buyer says its for the kids and kids can get into anything. Well, a parent usually makes up the bed and kids that can scramble out of reach in the far corner of a tight space can be an issue.<br /><br />Maxum and Bayliner are owned by the same parent company, Brunswick (they also make bowling balls). The boats are made in different plants and the Maxum is the more expensive brand as compared to a Bayliner. But add alot of options on a Bayliner and its more money than a stripped Maxum.<br /><br />Brunswick uses pricing and equipment along the lines of General Motors. The lower prices and equipment levels tend to be on the Bayliner, so call that a chevy, step up to a Maxum and think Pontiac, a Sea Ray may be aligned to a Buick, Sealine boats from Brunswick may be the Caddy, and Hatteras may be the limited production Cadillac models.<br /><br />Within the Brunswick family; Bayliner, Maxum, and Sea Ray brands offer models of the type you are interested in. Other companies also make models that should fit your needs as well.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Personally I would avoid both.The Bayliner has never enjoyed a good reputation,poor as a matter of fact.The Maxum has much prettier lines and looks to have better quality but rates pretty low in consumers tests for quality and repair.Charlie

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The Maxum has much prettier lines and looks to have better quality but rates pretty low in consumers tests for quality and repair.Charlie
Which consumers tests?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

If I remember ,it may have been Boating Mag or Power boat.Maxim did poorly in quality and frequency of breakdown.Charlie

18rabbit

Captain

Powerboat Reports does boat reviews. If there is anything on a boat they review that could be done better, they will tell you. Since they don’t accept advertising, they don’t have to maintain a relationship with a business that pays PBR's bills. They will also mention when a competitor’s vessel does something better and suggest you take a look at it. PBR will opine when something is a showstopper, only a nuisance, useless, nice-to-have but with limited real value, or if it is a design marvel the whole boating industry should adopt. When you get close to narrowing down the boat you want it may be worth the $10 or $15 to buy the PBR review of the boat, if they have reviewed it. Obviously, they can’t review al boats.<br /><br />EDIT: btw, I think it is/was either SeaRay or Regal that has a serious problem with water logged core material in the hulls of some of their boats. They can’t find the problem, brought in a fiberglass expert to evaluate the material and method of construction. This all came to light somewhere around the end of 2002. Don’t know where they stand now. Several boat owners had huge repair bills in an attempt to do something that may or may not solve the problem.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If Powerboat did not go to the factory, and in many reviews they did not, they have limited ability to comment on hull quality.<br /><br />Nice magazine, offers a differnt slant, but not the holy grail.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Take a look at Rinker, Fiesta Vee 250 or 270. Both have many features, the 25 is a 8'6" beam to trailer if you desire. There is 260 model from mid 90's if you are looking at a bit older.<br />the features list is at www.rinkerboats.com<br />Take your time, get what serves you the best. Good Luck