Web Radio Problem

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
I enjoy listening to web radio. After listening for 30-45 minutes the sound becomes garbled as if more than one station at a time is playing. If I click the stop button and then click the play button it will be clear for another period and then the cycle repeats. Any ideas on what is going on and what to do?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Web Radio Problem

Is it a newer computer? Sounds like maybe a buffering issue. How much RAM do you have?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The computer is about 4 years old. It is an AMD 1800 with 1 gig of memory. I have a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach sound card (latest driver) and am running Windows XP Pro with the latest updates. Windows Media Player is the audio software that is invoked but I think I remember the problem also existing with othe players. The problem only occurs with web radio.

Henry - I am not a super techie but I would guess that there is something software wise that is supposed to clear a buffer as chunks of music are received. It does not do what it is supposed to and over time the buffer fills and at some point the sound gets garbled. If that is so is there anything I can do about it other than Stop/Play? This is important to me as I like to record the music unattended and burn to a CD for later enjoyment.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Have you tried streaming another station not using media player to see if problem persists? That might help narrow it down. You are correct that the operating system should clear the buffer, but it maybe a media player issue.