Weak pee stream hot also bad -weak pump?

rockies

Cadet
Help me out here fellas couldn't get any pee stream with muffs now in a barrel only weak or none really hot also any suggestions

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Weak pee stream hot also bad -weak pump?

What kind of help would you like? You might give us a tinsey hint by starting by telling us what engine do you have (model, hp & yr) and when you last changed the water pump. No need to keep secrets here. You are among friends.

rockies

Cadet

it is a 1983 johnson sea horse 75, new motor /boat to me previous owners purchased it in march of this year from a marina used it twice and sold it because of heath /money problems. I was able to contact marina and was informed that it has new water pump, electric, fuel lines and was in good running condition when sold. It starts right up idels fine my question is is this more comonly a clog or weak water pump/ bad impeller, for all i know the previous owner could have fired it out of the water. my plan was to drop lower unit inspect impeller and try to send water up the line that conects to water pump. any other suggestions? fairly new to outboard motors

dazk14

Ensign

How hot? Your overboard indicator may be somewhat plugged or are you seeing smoke or steam out the pisser.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up a 80 hp mercury this summer..... when I started it, it had the same problem.... the picture shows what I found....waterpumpOFF(6).jpg

phillnjack2

Ensign

Play it safe and have a look at the water pump impellor.
Unless you actualy do it yourself and see waht your putting in,then never take the word of a previous sellor.

it sounds like the impellor is bad to me, take note that just by looking you still might not notice a impellor thats bad.
check the impellor hub is not the problem !!!!!!!
recently i took down a johnson 140hp water pump and the impellor looked like brand new, it turned out the
hub was just spinning and the blades not hardly moving.
the previous owner even tried to bodge up the water pump body with silicone thinking it could be the housing.
obviously he didnt notice the blades of impellor were good but the hub itself was just spinning.

best thing is to take it out and realy inspect it to be sure its a good one.
this impellor when inside the pump housing looked realy perfect and like new .

pic below showing a bad impellor hub !!Note the hub has become seperate from the rubber !!!!!!
broken hub impellor 2.jpg

phill

rockies

Cadet

I belive I have found the problem the impeller was installed the wrong way my manual days when inserting the impelled in the cup housing the fins should turn to the right. Then when you put it on the shaft it will turn clockwise. Well the key hole on this thing is just a halfmoon just like the key so if its in wrong it will just slip. And that is what was happing when I spin my shaft clockwise. So I flipped it it was kind ofa pain to get the impeller to bend the other way but I got it (brand new impelled not any wear at all ) going to test run in the morning. Thanks for all the help will give update. Tomarrow

rockies

Cadet

Thank for the pic if Icould figure out how too send pic through my phone I would send one of this key hole. Will only catch one way so my impeller wasnt turning with the shaft. I think I got it on the right way now.

rockies

Cadet

One more ? Fellas I'm no where near a boating or marine store do I need some special gaskit sealer before I slap this pump back together or can I just get something from my local napa

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Even if the impeller was installed with the vanes facing the wrong direction, they will normally flip back into the proper direction when the engine is cranked.

I'm fighting a similar problem with my 86 Johnson 9.9. I replaced the entire water pump and impeller with new parts. I get a weak/intermittent/hot stream no matter if it's on muffs, in the test barrel, or on the water. I've been through my pump twice and it is fine. I believe my problem is up towards the where the water tube and power head meet. There is a sealing grommet that has been know to rot/swell and close off either the water inlet, outlet, or both. Might have a similar issue with your motor.

rockies

Cadet

it wasnt to do with the vains, the key hole on the inpeller will only catch the key on the shaft if it is on a certain way so the impeller just wouldnt spin the way it was installed only if i spun the shaft the wrong, way then it would catch. I dont know the brand of the impeller or if this is common on other impellers. my key way and shaft key are like a half moon shape with a flat spot on only one side i could have just fliped the key on the shaft if what your saying about the vanes fliping back into the proper direction on there own but either way i do belive it will pump water now ,i will let you know im testing it tomarrow.

rockies

Cadet

Even if the impeller was installed with the vanes facing the wrong direction, they will normally flip back into the proper direction when the engine is cranked.

I'm fighting a similar problem with my 86 Johnson 9.9. I replaced the entire water pump and impeller with new parts. I get a weak/intermittent/hot stream no matter if it's on muffs, in the test barrel, or on the water. I've been through my pump twice and it is fine. I believe my problem is up towards the where the water tube and power head meet. There is a sealing grommet that has been know to rot/swell and close off either the water inlet, outlet, or both. Might have a similar issue with your motor.

hey jrs_diesel i tested that today and it pissed a heavy stream and never even got luke warm. you should check since you also have a johnson the key and key slot on the hub of the impeller, i dont know if this is particular to johnsons but looking online at pic of merc and other imprllers they definaty have different key slots. my impeller was brand new and just would not turn while shaft was spinning clockwise you have to take the impeller off and flip it 180 i looked just turning the key does nothing. check it out might solve your headache. Take the pump housing off and the cup but leave the impeller and key in place and hold it with one hand and turn the shaft clockwise is should turn the impeller out of your hand if it dosent it needs fliped.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

The key in my motor is a small round "peg" that sits on the flat on the driveshaft. I can hear the vanes turning when I spin the driveshaft by hand. Water also makes it up to the powerhead and the water indicator. I have had the thermostat cover off when the motor was running and not much comes out. I also rigged up my garden hose to feed the water up the water tube in the midsection. I have some blockage in the powerhead that needs to be dealt with.