We want to go to the NAB tower in an inflatable. Safe?

neil9327

Recruit
We have a 3 meter long Zodiac with a 14hp outboard. Is it safe to take out to the NAB tower which is 6 miles off the isle of wight.

We have life jackets, plenty of fuel, a compass, a mobile phone, water, fishing rod, and spare food. Oars.

Second question: My mate has found some fishing grounds 18 miles offshore. Is it safe to go out that far? (I guess we could be out of sight of land by then, and lose mobile signal)

I guess we could carry a spare 3 hp lightweight engine as a spare.

Thanks

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: We want to go to the NAB tower in an inflatable. Safe?

So much depends on the weather! On a particularly calm day you could go almost anywhere. But I must say that if you intend to go offshore and leave sight of land then you should carry a waterproof gps for sure. I've been offshore here in San Diego in great weather and we found a nice little squall to roll through then the haze got low and we never saw land until we hit the harbor entrance. Definitely educational. I carry a waterproof marine radio and a waterproof gps. If all else fails I can swim with them. Which brings up water temp. How cold is the water off the Isle of Wight? Exposure is what gets you. Even a small problem in cold water can be bad. Here in SD I'm carrying a fullsuit. The water is pretty warm. I'm planning a drive up to Vancouver Island and some boating/surf adventure there. I'm buying an exposure suit. Take care in any boat offshore. On the vessels manufacturers plate it gives a rating. My zodiac is rated c in Europe for "near the shore" to wind a speed of 6 (on the beaufort scale). Many inflatables are rated d "protected water". I have no idea what your Coast Guard is like, they get tense around here if you push your luck and your rating.

gobigkahuna

Seaman

I wouldn't go that far offshore in any 3 meter boat (and in particular, that far off the UK coast), but fishermen in Mexico, the Philippines and many other 3rd world nations do all the time. Your cell phone is worthless offshore, get a waterproof marine transceiver. Here in the US our Coast Guard would tell you (and the RNLI will likely say the same) the single most important piece of safety equipment offshore (besides a personal floatation device) is an EPIRB (preferably a 406 Mhz EPIRB).

At any rate, I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that this sort of stuff was regulated by the British government? Don't you need a "Yachtmaster's" certificate and doesn't your boat have to be certified for offshore?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

No no no I would not go!!! you need a bigger boat.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Don't even think about taking a 3m inflatable out 18 miles!!! Specially not in the English Channel-if the wether changes you won't be fast enough to outrun it. You will eventually get in very big trouble.

I'd only take a 3m as far as the Nab Tower if I had a bigger boat along too.
These are my local waters so be warned.

And no, no regs on boating in the UK. It's about the only thing we don't get hammered on.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi neil9327 did you go? I think he did!!:)