We need a new word.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We need a new word.

People who irrationally fear disease and often imagine themselves ill are called hypochondriacs.<br /><br />There are also people who irrationally fear things going wrong with their machinery and imagine all sorts of "proof" that something is wrong with their car, lawnmower, tractor, outboard, boat, etc, etc. <br /><br />If there is a term for that affliction I don't know what it is, so we need to get our heads together and invent one.<br /><br />Ideas?

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: We need a new word.

how bout mechochondriacs, people who fear mechanical things. I just made this term up btw.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> how bout mechochondriacs, pople who fear mechanical things. I just made this term up btw.
They already have a term for that Stratosfied, it is Mechanophobia... ;)

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

How about mechannabreakaphobia (sp?) the irrational fear of any thing mechanical breaking down.<br /><br />Now really JB...and you accused me of being bored.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why do you limit it to mechanical things, how about electrical stuff too. So one generic term could be Gysmocondriac, or Gadgacondriac!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

let's drop the first "cho" and just go with "mechondriac."

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

hypoDIYiacs - those who love to DIY so much they seek out to fix things that arent even broken.<br /><br /><br /> :D <br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

IMHO, mechochondriacs, or mechochondriac; would better describe those who don't necessarily have a fear of the machine itself, just a paranoid feeling that something's going to break...<br /><br />Where as Mechanophobia refers to an abnormal and persistent fear of machines.. <br /><br />I vote, mechochondriac.. :cool:

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

hows about "termowarrantyaphobic" that applies to all items mechanical and otherwise during or near the end of term. Those who are afflicted will tend to purchase those junk mail extended warranty's offered in via mail or offered at a retail establishment.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I always just figured they were imagining things and usally just call them "NUTS"<br /><br />I tis best not to use this term in front of the afflicted as they somtimes take exception to the general conotations associated with this word.<br /><br />On second thought, somtimes honesty is the best policy....Your nuts.<br /><br />Come to think of it this is also a much broader term......Your ALL Nuts! ;)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes I can see where this is leading to.... :rolleyes: <br /><br />1. iboats members invent new word for mechanical phobia.<br /><br />2. Television documentaries appear about the poor souls afflicted by this ghastly, debilitating "disease"...how it's ruined their lives etc etc sob sob :rolleyes: <br /><br />3. Politicians of a certain persuasion (let's not name names here, but we all know it's not the conservatives ;) ) will start voicing outrage at the "capitalistic monsters" responsible for creating the environment in which this "disease" can propogate... :rolleyes: <br /><br />4. Lawsuits, Lawsuits and more Lawsuits by every man and his dog who thinks everyone else owes him a living - against the car making, boat engine making, you-name-it making companies.<br /><br />5. The car making, boat engine making, you-name-it making companies have to put up their prices to cover all the legal costs of the lawsuits...<br /><br />6. ....which causes people prone to the mechanical affliction....to get more stressed :eek: <br /><br /><br /> :eek: :D

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Murphys Law"<br />Ross