We dont do it enough !

mrbarth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While searching the board last night for tips for my not (anymore) working tilt motor, and as usually getting distracted by other interresting problems and followed those trails, I was again amazed by the amount of knowledge in this database. <br />And after a while I was even more amazed by the amount of time some people invest to help others, they usually don't even know. And sometimes although this knowledge is part of there jobs and should bring money instead of giving it for free,<br />or they should enjoy retirement instead od scanning thru repair manuals in search of information for some unknown person.<br /><br /><br />And if I check how many problems I already solved with the help of those guys and how much fun it was to show others "hey, I have done this", I recognized I was only following advices given free by others. <br />And while I had the joy and was getting the accolade, those responsible were propably again sitting on there terminals and helping others, without even knowing what they really had achieved by their help.<br /><br />And many times, I even see no thank you from those helped, maybe because they are already again on the water, enjoying their again running boat.<br /><br />So to all guys who have helped me, directly or by postings 2 years ago in solving my boat problems,<br />from the bottom of my heart, thank you very much.<br /><br />I'm sorry I can't "repay" you, as my area of expertise is quite far away from real life :)<br /><br />But if one of you is ever passing by near me, send me a note and I see what I can do for you. A ride with the boat (I promise you wan't have to repair it :) ) or an intro scuba dive or maybe I can tow your car if you have a problem.<br /><br />Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: We dont do it enough !

Thanks for the feedback, boatsrfun.<br /><br />Knowing that we helped is what keeps most of us here. :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks boats.....And keep sharing the info. <br /><br />Uhhhh...I like Bud Longnecks....cold...real cold. Thought you should know this if I ever get down yer way..... :D

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by boatsrfun:<br /> While searching the board last night for tips for my not (anymore) working tilt motor, and as usually getting distracted by other interresting problems and followed those trails, I was again amazed by the amount of knowledge in this database. . . . from the bottom of my heart, thank you very much.<br />.
Boatsrfun,<br /> You hit the nail right on the head. I was just telling my father today about all the help I have gotten and all the info I have found on here. In fact, he commented that it is too bad that I can't at least send some of these people a Christmas card or something.<br /><br /> I do try to say thank you when someone helps me directly, but you are right that most don't. I have noticed that the vast majority of the time they don't even come back after the last suggestion to let everybody know whether it worked or not.<br /><br /> Oh well, I guess all we can do is say THANKS and keep up the good work...I will not even try to list names, they know who they are. . . and I hope they know how much we appreciate them.<br /><br />P.S. Maybe JB should post this thread or something like it in the FAQ so people might remember to come back and let us know what happened...and to say thank you. Of course, being a mod, JB will probably want to explain not to create new threads to say thanks. ;) <br /><br />Just my $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

JB

I will make an exception in this case, Joe.<br /><br />Thanks and reports on the results of advice are too rare to miss. :)

Walker

Captain

Don't forget the fun factor. I really have a good time trying to help diagnose motor problem thru cyber-space. Some of the guys that regularly post are real sharp and their help is greatly appreciated.

promotec

Seaman Apprentice

I couldnt agree more guys, these days most are out for what they can get with no thought of win / win situations, I am also amazed at the level of commitment and patience these guys show, again and again we see the same names, parting with their hard learned knowledge, all in the name of helping out a fellow boatie, they are to be truly commended and used as an example of good human nature, if all of us that have recieved help on this board could just remember the free assistance we have been given and even once a week repay that by showing assistance or kindness to another person we meet on out path. Wouldnt it be a start to a better world for all.<br /><br />It may do the marine rescue services out of alot of work though *grin*<br /><br />Your efforts are much appreciated guys<br /><br />Regards Chris

calm like a bomb

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am begining to believe that it would almost be impossible to come up with something that these fellows could not troubleshoot and fix.<br /> It is much appreciated too.I've gotten solid advice on VRO's,water pumps,spark plugs,removing a hard to get to foot and low oil alarms from this fine board.<br /> It goes to show you that there are still mighty fine people in this world willing to help just for the sheer sake of helping.Pretty rare these days in a lot of places.It speaks volumes about the membership on here.Good people!! :)

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW,we shouldn't forget the little people...the person who mostly reads and rarely posts, or the newer person who knows a lot but we don't know it yet. Oftentimes, it is that person who reads the question or problem first...and answers it. Sometimes having that quick answer saves a lot of work/worry/study on the part of the questioner. And we all know how much courage it takes to jump out there and answer that question...even if you KNOW you are right, you know that some people won't believe what you said until one of the big fish comes along and seconds it...not to mention that nagging worry of "what if I wasn't right...".<br /><br />Also, we have to say thank you to the people who are brave enough to ask the questions that we learn from. Heck, I know a guy who was brave enough to admit that not only did he not know where the pisser was on his motor, he didn't even know if it had one. ;) Yeah, there are some real goof ball questions sometimes, but we just chuckle and move on by to the question that we haven't thought to ask yet, or the answer to the problem that we won't have until next week or next year.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm going to jump down off the soap box...this is getting so syrupy that people are going to get cavities. ;) And no, I haven't forgotten to thank the mods and iBoats for hosting the whole mess...but I gotta leave something for somebody else to gush about. ;) <br /><br />Thanks again to EVERYBODY,<br />Joe

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I want to thank the powers that be for putting iboats here. I have a blast helping people all over the country and all over the world. I've answered questions from Lithuania, New Zealand, Argentina, Sweden, Norway, Ireland ... I couldn't possibly remember them all. It gives me a thrill when the "From:" is someplace all the way on the other side of the planet. It helps give me a little glimpse of life in exotic locations, and shows me that our experiences are more common than we think. Some of the foreign posts are from translation software and those are the most challenging to decipher. But just think, I can even help somebody that can't speak the same language I do. What a trip! Thanks iboats! :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep what yall said.<br /> I just do it to see if I can help. this hobby is very expensive with labor rates of 70 to 100 dollars an hour. I usually bill at 45 an hour and have about all I can do. I am retired with a disabilty from the navy so its difficult sometimes to work but out of all the things I have done in life this is the best. its a new job or two each and every day. its even better than when I was programming and setting up CNC lathes and mills :) . my job evaluation is when the guy runs 30 miles out to the gulf stream and back. that is a quick way to tell if I know what I am doing or not. anyway thanks to all who post and even some that we butt heads :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

flips

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is agreat site, with a wealth of no how solved many of my promblems thankyou all. :)

dolluper

Captain

I'm a retired auto mechanic motors are a passion with me I only dabbled a bit with outboards only to keep my own going what pain it was getting to know them I wish I knew about something like this 30 years ago it is a fantasic site lots of great people and I love to help if I possable can so I play around here ,just like second childhood.KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GUYS!!!!!

oldgreybeard

Cadet

I also owe a lot of people a lot of thanks for the help I received. There is so much knowledge for free on this site I can not imagine how we ever got along without it.

KiHoPro

Cadet

I know this may be redundant at this point, but I thought I would put my words in print. I have only been a member for a few days. However, I have discovered, in just a few days, that the wealth of knowledge contained within these cyber walls… well I really can’t put a value on it.<br /><br />If for some reason I haven’t said this before. Thank you very much for all you help and knowledge. It is very appreciated.<br /><br /> ;) ~Cheers~

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto on all the above.working on a free boat(which is all I can afford)and reading this board took me away from"Court TV".If I havn,t said it before.Thanks guys.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

this forum is great in deed.<br /><br />and because of this forum i felt more confident to rebuild my evi v4 1990.<br />and it runs great right know after help from a lot of guys here.<br /><br />thanks

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Like all the rest, I have learned so much from this site, not only from posting my own problems but just from reading the other post and searching. If it weren't for this site and all the great advice, there would be some some far better off boat dealers. I try and support the locals and this site when ever I can but I can only pour so much money into the water.<br />Thanks again all have a great thanksgiving<br />Ray

JB

This thread needs to be where everyone can read it.<br /><br />I am going to move it to Dockside Chat.