wax=faster?

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was once told waxing the bottom of a boat would give a gain of a few MPH-is this true?

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wax=faster?

Must be true.
My old pontoon boat has no wax on the pontoons and will only hit about 17 mph.
My bow-rider is waxed top and bottom and goes over 50 mph. :D

Hey, just jerking your chain. :)

Actually, I have read that the opposite is true. Waxing the bottom supposedly will reduce speed. I really have no idea.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

I think it depends on the hull. A Vhull like mine I think wax helps. Definitely seemed to come out of the water better...

There's a few threads on here if you use the search function above.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried searching but didnt get any results-just did agian with differant keywords and some threads came up-I'll check them out! thanks

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Been through this before. Wax might be good for keeping crud off the boat, but will not speed ya up. You want to BREAK surface tension/adhesion. Taking 36 Grit to the hull will speed ya up (although not a good idea)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, Scaaty pretty much summed it up. This topic has been tossed around quite a bit here. This was the last time...

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks-I did read that after I did a better search.dont think I'll do any waxing-the blazing speed my 28 horse Johnson provides is already the envy of the lake anyway!;)

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I waxed the bottom of my Glastron V156, it picked up about 3 mph for about 6 hours of running before it fell off. So it seems to help for a little while, but it doesn't last much longer than it takes to do the job of waxing the bottom hull.

MikDee

Banned

Yes, waxing or polishing helps IMO, I always pick up a few mph, for as long as it lasts, and the boat will get skittish, if it was a loose running boat before. It appears that it tries to get away from the water, any way it can.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Its the same as changing the oil in your car..seems to run much better after....