Waverunner is dead...even with new battery

gthardhat

Recruit
I have a 1999 Yamaha Waverunner XL1200. We took it out in May for the first run of the season and everything was great. Three weeks later it didn't have enough juice to crank on the ramp. Tried again last week after recharging the battery and nothing happened. The battery only showed 3/4 charge so I thought the battery might be the culprit. Bought a new one, charged it up according to the directions, hooked it up and still got nothing. It won't make a sound. No display. Nothing. I know it has proper power, but there's ZERO response on the display or from the engine. This is my third year with this thing and the first time I've run up against this problem. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I have two little boys desperate to get out on the lake. Thanks.

The Penguin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Waverunner is dead...even with new battery

find the electrical box, open the hatch and check the fuse.

rogerwa

Commander

It could be it is locked. If this model is anything like the GP760, if you press and hold the mode button on the display, it should come up with the message "unlock" or somthing like that. then press the A key four times to see if it unlocks. Look in your manual for specific unlocking procedures if you are not familiar..

Check the fuse as stated earlier and also check to ensure the motor will turn and is not seized or your pump is not bound up.

If that is not the issue and you are not getting the solenoid click, do the following..

- Clean your battery connection
- Open the blackbox and measure voltage across the solenoid terminals if you get zero, you have a break somewhere between the solenoid and battery
- If you get 12V, use a big screwdriver and short the terminals - if it turns over, then you have a solenoid problem, again check connections and replace if necessary - if no action, then proceed to your starter and check connections and the the starter itself.

Getting to that starter is a real B@#$, at least on mine it is.

Hopefully it is just the security code as that is the easiest..

gthardhat

Recruit

Thanks guys. I checked the fuse and sure enough - that was it. It fired right up and ran great. You've got to love the $4 fix. I appreciate the direction and advice.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. I checked the fuse and sure enough - that was it. It fired right up and ran great. You've got to love the $4 fix. I appreciate the direction and advice.

Cool!