Waterwitch interest

DrBoss302

Recruit
Well, finally decent weather has arrived here in northeast Wisconsin which has sparked my interest in antique outboards for the year. While surfing the internet for outboard forums, I ran across this site which is nice and active.<br /><br />Hartford, WI, birthplace of the Sears Waterbitc@, is not that far from where I reside. I've collected and have always appreciated the 'Art Deco' appearance of the Sears Waterwitch and therefore was wondering if any forum members have collected them. If you do, why?? I know of several that have made their way to the bottom of the lakes with their poppet valve carburetors.<br /><br />Anyway, all of mine have "ran well since the last time it was fired up". (How many times have you heard that statement?)<br /><br />Cheers
cheers.gif
<br /><br />DocBoss

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Waterwitch interest

No Waterwitch here.<br />But I have a West Bend/Chrysler/Force/Mercury 70hp.<br />(West Bend/Hartford/Fond du Lac)<br /><br />Go Pack!!

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey, welcome aboard Drboss!<br /><br />No waterwitch here either, but I do have a 1966 Merc 9.9 that has about 10 hours on it. I sure wish my grandpa didn't live in salt water country, because that oxidized the aluminum in several places. Otherwise this motor would look as new as it runs.

Link

Rear Admiral

Welcome to IBOATS DrBoss<br />Actually I hadn't heard of them before. Going to do a google search to take a look. Have completly torn down and restored a 52? 35hp for a guy once. It looked like it had just been unpacked from the factory when he got it back. You would think Id remember the year and HP since I worked on it for a couple hours everyday for several months back in 87. Oh well

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe the Waterwitch was a rebadged Elgin(made by WestBend in their Hartford plant)<br />WestBend also made motors for Wards and Firestone, among others.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

No Waterwitches. But there's a guy in Buckingham,Fl (about 3 minutes away from Lehigh Acres), who has one burried from the hinge clamps down, in his front yard..Dunno what's up with that, but it's been there since the late 60's that I know of.<br /><br />Personally, I like the ethstetics of the old Mercs.<br />Here's one I restored, without it's clothes on...I know, it's kind of r-rateted, but this is a 1965 Merc650 Panther block.<br />Sounds scarey when I crank it up.<br />
28870667.PCDV0011.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Found a Waterwitch at a yard sale back in the '60s. Got it running and sold it to a collector.<br /><br />My current antique is a 1948 Sea King 1.5. She is still waiting for some TLC. :)

DrBoss302

Recruit

Well I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of an earlier Sears Waterwitch to illustrate what it looks like from the 'art deco' period of time. Because of their poppet valve carburetor along with other inferior parts, their popularity quickly diminished even though their price was reasonable.<br /><br />Here's a front view...<br /><br />
WaterWitchFront.jpg
<br /><br />and a side view...<br /><br />
WaterWitchSide.jpg
<br /><br />Many of them left the fisherman stranded before his fishing hole, thus eventually ending up in the bottom of the lake.<br /><br />If any of you know of other people that collect them or know about them, I'd appreciate a holler. Until next time...<br /><br />Cheers
cheers.gif
<br /><br />DocBoss

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Lawdy-lawdy!! That thing looks exactly like an Ammonium Q45 deep space modulate-tor ,that Bugs Bunny stole from that little martian dude!<br /><br />But it's right-pretty :)

radar750

Seaman

12er, you are right except you left out one thing.After Bugs stole it the martin says,<br />"Whers the KABOOM, there is suposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM"

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Can anybody explain a poppet valve carburetor?

Vintage 4.8

Cadet

I see the last time this thread was used was in 2004. It's 2011 and I have a 1942 Waterwitch that I am presently restoring. Attached are a few photos when I purchased it on Craigslist for $15. These outboard motors are great. I hope I can find someone else who enjoys them as much as I do.

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0427.jpg
    IMAG0427.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0430.jpg
    IMAG0430.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 0

Vintage 4.8

Cadet

Here are some photos of my 1942 Waterwitch during my restoration. What a difference it makes cleaned up and polished. I am almost complete. Need to install the carb and gas tank. There are problems with the tank being smashed so I have some work to do.

Attachments

• IMAG0492.jpg
    IMAG0492.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0495.jpg
    IMAG0495.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0