Watering a battery

ajahman

Cadet
Hi Guys!
I have several batteries that I use for fishing. One is a starting battery for my 17ft boat and two are deep cycles for a trolling motor that I use on a canoe.Like a dumb--- I let one of the trolling batteries water level go down to the plates. My question is,will the battery recharge if I refill the cells with distilled water and slow charge it or is the sucker dead? I have an auto shop hydrometer and a battery charger that reads charged voltage. Will these be accurate enough to trust.Also,how far should a deep cycle battery be discharged before recharging?
Thanks Fellas!Always good info. on this board.
Ajahman

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Watering a battery

recharge first then add water (distilled). At worst, you've shortened the battery's useful life, maybe not by a noticeable amount.

After recharging, wait 6 or 8 hours for the surface charge to dissipate, then check it with the hydrometer. digital voltmeter is good enough to tell you the state of charge, but it's an average across the six cells.....with the hydrometer you'll know if any of the cells are starting to show signs of weakness.

more than you'll ever want to know about batteries:
http://www.batteryfaq.org/

ajahman

Cadet

Thanks jtexas! I knew that I would get good,informed help on this board!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Recharge deep cycle and starting batteries as soon as possible. Never discharge a starting battery below 80 percent of full charge. Deep cycles do not discharge below 50 percent.

The longer either type battery is below full charge the more damage will be done. Always fully recharge at the end of every trip and they will last 6 years or longer.

Check water levels one or two times a year. I always add water first then do a full charge. Do not charge if plates are dry until get enough distilled water to at least cover the plates.