water wont drain??

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet
Looking into the hatch in the middle of the deck, I see about 3 inches of water. There's also water in the engine compartment mixed with oil. The guy I got the boat from says the oil came from when he changed the oil. He got some in the engine compartment when he pulled the oil drain plug. I checked the oil in the engine and its clean so I can tell he did change the oil.

Back to the sitting water. I unscrewed what Im pretty sure is a drain for this water (located in the bottom of the transom, under the prop??) and nothing came out!!! I tilted the trailer so the front was as high as it could go, and still, i got nothing. It's coming up on the cold weather here and i would like to get this water out before it freezes in the bottom of the boat. HELP!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: water wont drain??

Ayuh,... Stick a stick into the hole, 'n knock the crud outa the way...
Reach down in there from inside,+ SEE why it ain't drainin'....
What's blocking the bilge,..??

zach103

Commander

Ayuh,... Stick a stick into the hole, 'n knock the crud outa the way...
Reach down in there from inside,+ SEE why it ain't drainin'....
What's blocking the bilge,..??

i second that.. every once in a while i get some just small pieces of junk that build up when the water tries to drain and blocks the hole

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Get your wet dry vac ready incase :)

3" of water seems a bit much though... do you have a bilge pump ?

And we dont know what kinda of boat you have..but if its I/O then when you winterize its ok to have a bit of pop in the bilge :)

YD.

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet

Problem solved!! I moved the boat to the bottom of the driveway because it was at a very slight slant. I didn't think it was slanted enough to affect the drain. Once i moved it, It started to stream a little.. it still didn't seem right though because of the amount of water in there, so I stuck a screwdriver in the hole and wiggled it around. When I pulled the screwdriver out, it was covered in oil. I think the oil was clotting the hole so I used the water hose and sprayed some more water inside the bilge where the drain was... it thinned the mixture enough to cause it to pour out in a thick steady stream. Once it was empty, I checked for leaves or anything else that might have been blocking it. There was nothing there so I think my oil clot theory is the only explanation. Thanks for your help!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Problem solved!! I moved the boat to the bottom of the driveway because it was at a very slight slant. I didn't think it was slanted enough to affect the drain. Once i moved it, It started to stream a little.. it still didn't seem right though because of the amount of water in there, so I stuck a screwdriver in the hole and wiggled it around. When I pulled the screwdriver out, it was covered in oil. I think the oil was clotting the hole so I used the water hose and sprayed some more water inside the bilge where the drain was... it thinned the mixture enough to cause it to pour out in a thick steady stream. Once it was empty, I checked for leaves or anything else that might have been blocking it. There was nothing there so I think my oil clot theory is the only explanation. Thanks for your help!!!

So you basically solved the Oil clot drain thing ? ... Where did you Drain your oil clot thing ??? In the driveway ??

YD.

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

get ya a snake there only 4 bucks at harbor freight

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet

Ha... I got a some on the driveway at first while I was trying to clear the drain, but once the steady flow started, I put milk jugs under the drain and took them to the local Wal-mart.