Water when pulling stern drive

Campfire

Seaman
I have no idea if mine is the old style or not. I’ll be able to look at it this Friday. Thanks!
Yes the upper bushing is also a seal. The lower one is just a bushing, no seal. Is your upper bushing the larger upgraded design like in your link? or do you have the original smaller bushing? You would also want to get a new shift arm/lever, they can be a bugger to try to remove without breaking. The set screw in it won't come out and the easiest way is to crack it off using a small cold chisel and hammer.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I never had an Alpha drive but I think I'd glue that in with weatherstrip adhesive (yellow snot as it's called) let it dry and put a light coating of marine grease on the inner edge, it appears that the bearing carrier pushes against the seal, correct? And the paper gasket seals the outer edges of the joint between the drive and transom mount?
On the Cobra and Volvo there is no seal there, the bearing carrier pushes against the inner lip of the bellows to make the seal, I always put grease on it and the bearing carrier and never had a leak there. Cobra uses a gasket like the Alpha, Volvo does not.