Water Tube Gomments 15 HP 1983 Rude

Sailormannj

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the middle of putting my 1983 15 HP Rude back together after replacing the upper shaft mounts. On the WATER TUBE, I know that I have to replace the GOMMENTS and have new ones, but I am not sure where they go. The parts breakdown is not clear.<br /><br />Do the water tubes go into the exhaust housing, and the gomments go on top? This would place the gomment inbetween the top of the tube and the bottom of the power head.?<br /><br /> Do the tubes go through the gromments inside the hole in the exhaust housing that holds the tube? <br /><br />Thanks for the help!!!

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Water Tube Gomments 15 HP 1983 Rude

Possibly the grommets go on the pump housing where the water tubes connect to the pump housing.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sailor.... I assume you have the exhaust tuning tube removed from the bottom of the powerhead. <br /><br />Remove the copper water tube from the tuning tube. The old grommet may come out with the tube, but if not, it's located right at the top of the tuning tube.... remove it and clean the grommet seating area.<br /><br />Insert a new grommet (use a small amount of grease). The top of the grommet should be flush with the top edge of the tuning tube. Now simply slide the copper water tube into and through the greased grommet, then re-attach the tuning tube to the powerhead.

Sailormannj

Seaman Apprentice

Joe,<br /><br />Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure based on how it came apart.<br /><br />What I do not understand is I have heard that this gomment can come apart and block the water passage. How does that happen if the gommett is inbetween the water tube and the exhaust housing, in that hole><br /><br />Thanks

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Sailermannj, OMC redesign'd the water tube in later years so that it did not contact the block but was excapsoul'd inside the grommett. That took care of galvanic corrosion problems but still allow'd salt and minerals to build up around the exhust housing and crimp off the grommett. So water can still be restricted to the powerhead but since you now know how, you can clean out this area when water supply is diminish'd . Often, you will find the upper mounts and the thrust mount are also bad and need to be changed at the same time you do the grommett.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Im not sure what year the water tube grommet started or ending, but the ones I have seen, the grommet had a slit/groove inside the grommet. The flare of the water tube fit inside this slit/groove. This left half of the grommet on the water tube, half of the grommet unsupported. The object being that the copper water tube not touch the aluminum block. after a few years of heat, salt water the unsupported end of the grommet would curl up like a prune and restrict the water flow. The fix is slide the grommet on the tube until the top of the grommet touches the flare, then insure the watertube is long enough to fit inside the waterpump grommet.

Sailormannj

Seaman Apprentice

P.V.<br /><br />The upper mounts started this entire project. They were gone, and had to be replaced. Did those, thermostat and now the water tube.<br /><br />By the way question on the Thermostat. The new one came with a rubber gasket, separate from the thermostat. When I installed the new thermostat, I put this rubber gasket between the thermostat and the spring. Is this the right place for it?<br /><br />I could not tell from the old one as it was the origional one, a bit crutsy looking.<br /><br />The good news is that the water passages seem to be all clear.<br /><br />Thanks,