water tube from impeller to upper section alpha one gen II

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
here's a 1st for me. the boat was overheating, replaced the impeller as maintenance, still overheating, manifolds looked old as dirt, replaced dry joint manifolds/risers and spacers. found crossover hose from manifold to water distribution log filled with silt and rust, blocked solid.i thought for sure, this is definetly the issue, i even threw a new thermostat in for good measure. she started up and ran cool for a few minutes then shot up ,alarm sounding so i shut it down.
now, last year i had a boat that the lower section was so corroded that the thin wall betweeen the impeller section and the outer area was totally gone, causing air to get in the system, causing it to again, overheat.
so i thought maybe this is the same issue so i dropped the lower to inspect, but no issue there. i thought, let me run water right into the upper tube into the engine to see if it flows. when i turned the hose on, more water was coming down out of the upper section than flowed through the engine. further inspection found a hole in the water tube. ive never seen this tube rot through, its made of copper.
i just wanted to put it out there if anyone is having overheat conditions, look everywhere.

Attachments

• water tube.jpg
    water tube.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 8
  • water tube1.jpg
    water tube1.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 8

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Looks almost like something was abrading it.