Water Spraying Out from under Engine when running

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, dewinterized my boat and I noticed while running on muffs, that I'm getting a water spray from underneath my engine. I think I have a hose under there that may have split around the hose clamp.

On the attached picture, B = Raw Water Impeller area, and C=the area where the water is spraying. (I'll try to get a better picture later)

Anyway, there is a hose that snakes around the back (bottom) of the engine to the RIGHT side (C). This Hose has a clamp on it but I cannot tell where this hose comes from or what it is doing.

Can someone shed some insight based on the picture and based on my description?

Like I said, I'll post some better pictures in a day or two.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• boat_engine3.jpg
    boat_engine3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1

ccmarsh

Seaman
Re: Water Spraying Out from under Engine when running

I believe it to be either the hose that connects to the stearn drive, you know the part that draws water up to the engine, or it's the discharge hose in which case it attaches to the opening that sends it over the side. The only other thing that I can think of is that your eyes are decieving you and the water is spraying out from somewhere else.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That hose runs thru the power steering cooler and out the back. If you have a leak at C, is it possible you did not disconnect and drain it at winter layup? That holds some water and could have split the cooler..

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I believe it to be either the hose that connects to the stearn drive, you know the part that draws water up to the engine, or it's the discharge hose in which case it attaches to the opening that sends it over the side. The only other thing that I can think of is that your eyes are decieving you and the water is spraying out from somewhere else.

I really doubt it is the hose that connects to the stern drive since that hose has suction on it before it goes into the raw water pump.

Discharge over the side...what are you talking about? The output of the pump goes to the power steering cooler like previous poster said. I would look there first...may need a mirror. The hose then leaves the power steering cooler and goes up to the thermostat housing.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

could be from the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump

Coors

Captain

Is there a drain plug in the p/s cooler that wasn't put back in?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

There is no way to tell short of standing on your head and looking to see where it's coming from...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Under the port motor mount is the oil/powersteering cooler (It does both)
If it didn't get drained, they tend to break the seal where the end caps go on. Since they are on the pressure side of the pump, it will spray water everywhere.
The hose from the oil cooler to the stat housing also gets very close to the belt. If the belt was loose it could have worn a hole in the hose.
It still all boils down to having to actually find the leak before you can fix it.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you can't see it with your own eyes directly, try using a mirror. Or try snapping some pictures with the camera (hopefully without getting it wet) down there then taking a look a the pic.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

hmm...the camera is a good idea.

I'm going to try to get under there with a mirror. Weather is NOT cooperating though, as we're expecting heavy rains through here over the next two days.

Ugggghhhh

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Egads! Looks like I didn't get the oil/powersteering cooler drained :(

And it looks like it froze and popped the end cap, just like Don said. Errrgh.

I "assume" that I have to replace the cooler?

I've gotten the hose off the ends, but I'm not sure how to get the oil/powersteering hoses OFF the cooler?

I've attached a couple of pictures, I'm just not sure how to get the fittings off the cooler. Any special hints/suggestions you guys can offer?

Attachments

• IMG_2481a.jpg
    IMG_2481a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2483a.jpg
    IMG_2483a.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1

Don S

You are probably going to have to pull the Exhaust manifold off to get in there with 2 wrenches and 2 hands to get the oil cooler lines off. The PS lines are the small ones with hose clamps.
Once you get the cooler off, take it to a radiator repair shop, and the can solder it back on.

Lucky Penny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same exact problem, and I found it to be the water pump. I was pulling hoses, checking gaskets and such. all proved to be ok. check the pump before you spend too much more money on extra parts.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Just remember that when you disconnect the power steering hoses, they will leak power steering fluid. Be prepared to catch it before you have a mess in your bilge. HY

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I need some suggestions for getting these hoses off.

1.) Should I disconnect them from the ENGINE and pull the cooler AND hoses out and then disconnect hoses from cooler?
OR
2.) Should I disconnect hoses from cooler only and pull out cooler?

Also, is there anything special about getting these hoses off the cooler? The reason I ask is that the hoses keep wanting to turn when I try to loosen them.

I was trying to put the second wrench on the cooler "nut", and use the first wrench on the "nut" with the hose. But this causes the hose to try to turn as well. Obviously that cannot be right?

AND QUESTION:
What is the part number for the oil/ps cooler? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Suggestions/Thoughts?

I REALLY appreciate the help. I can't believe I took care of everything else when winterizing and missed this....(though it was my first time winterizing) :(

Bondo

Staff member

2.) Should I disconnect hoses from cooler only and pull out cooler?

Yes....

AND QUESTION:
What is the part number for the oil/ps cooler? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Ayuh,..... No part # Needed, actually.....

I'd bet that your's will be Fine if the end is soldered back on.....
Or,....
Search ebay, just going by Looks,.....
If it Looks exactly like Your's,....... It Is.......

I believe Merc has only used 2 or 3 different Coolers over the years,.....
They're either single element P/S coolers with the slip on,+ clamp oil fittings,....
Or,....
The Dual element 1s with both the slip on,+clamp element,+ the screw on fittings for the Engine oil element......
I was trying to put the second wrench on the cooler "nut", and use the first wrench on the "nut" with the hose. But this causes the hose to try to turn as well. Obviously that cannot be right?

Ayuh,.....

My Guess is,...
The Oil lines will have a Swivel Fitting on them, but it maybe on only 1 end,.....
If that's the case,.... The swivel will probably be found on the Other End.....

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Mine is the dual element.

Don S

The Merc PN for the cooler is 89690T. Many of the sites use the wrong picture, but if you look at the discription of the part is says OIL COOLER-WITH POWER STEERING and about 260 bucks.
Here is what it looks like.

74OilcoolerwithPS.png

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don!