Water Ski selection

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I ended up with 2 pairs of O'Brian skis along the way of boating life! I recently sold my jet ski and offered a pair of skis with it. I have a pair of "Celebrity Max", and "Free Style Max", both by O'Brian. I have not skied in 25 years! What pair would you recommend I keep? HELP ME with the selection PLEASE!!!!! :confused:

tylerin

Commander
Re: Water Ski selection

Doubles??? I don't think it matters. If one of them has bindings to use as a slalom ski keep those. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it makes any difference, the "Free Style Max" are a bit shorter, and the fronts are wider. They both have the one ski for slalom. What pair would be better/easier for the novice skier?

gaugeguy

Captain

Yup, you'll be dropping a ski in no time and be putting them in the garage and shopping for a descent slalom ski (go Connelly!!)

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have one of those also, forget brand.

gaugeguy

Captain

If you have a connelly, I would use that with another of the obrien ski's and learn to drop the o'brien.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

But back to the origanal question, keep the shorter free style?

tylerin

Commander

Wakeboarding is the way to go now. you move slower easier to get up on and less painful when you fall. For slalom I always used Kidder or EP

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a connelly, I would use that with another of the O'Brien ski's and learn to drop the O'Brien
The Slalom I have is also O'Brien, "Exhibition Team Competition"

gaugeguy

Captain

It'll come back to you in no time, it's like riding a bike. Carve em deep and wide, throw up a huge tail and dig that rail in so it feels like you are stopping the boat...and when you take a digger, let go of the rope :D

sangerwaker

Commander

The wider skis make them easier to get up on. Most ski manufacturers are making wider skis now for the beginners. As for the above folks talking brand names-they mean nothing. If and when you decide to slalom, get several skis and try them-regardless of brand. There are many things that make up how a ski performs..amount and type of concave, bevel degree, flex pattern, and lots,lots more. Find a ski you like and suits your individual skiing style.