Water separater filter options

captainchaos

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I just bought a deckboat with F150 Yamaha. This is my first boat with a water separater filter on it and I want to put a fresh one on. I would like to put one on with a drainable bowl on filter. Is there any reason that I shouldnt run one with a drainable bowl or just stay with solid srew on filter?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would think a clear one you can see into with a drain would be a good idea myself.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I would not have a boat without a Racor filter with the clear plastic bowl on the bottom.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Fuel water sep should be changed every season /spring UNLESS there is already a fuel/water issue ,a regular filter/sep will be more than effective.If
an issue is suspected then the drain filter would be a good choice.BTW
in my 30+ years of boating I have had only 1 issue related to a full fuel/water sep and it was my own fault as I didn't change it that year and it made it all the way to the following fall. Charlie

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I get 3 years out of a Racor before they start to rust and pinhole.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
3 years??? Thats stretching it.Better hope you don't get the rust and pinhole
while you are out on the water.Charlie
I use Racor on the boat and tractors for years. Have never had one fail outright.

Keep in mind that any water trapped is stored in the lower plastic bowl. There is no residual water left in contact with the housing like there is with the can type filters.

The filters on the boat only start to rust @ 3 years because of the salt.