water pump

blueyacht

Cadet
will soon be replacing water pump and impeller. Im about 80% confident i can do this on my own. any advice in regards to tackling this? Ive seen many videos on removing the lower unit on youtube, but most are just a little different than mine. Correct me if im wrong, but i should be able to remove just the lower part of my stern to get to the pump cant I? If not, on an 1976 merc inline 6-165 does the gear shift cable come off with the stern or does it stay inplace? Lastly, none of the videos address reinstalling the stern, any tricks to making it easier, or things to look out for? Thanks for the heads up

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pump

Howdy,

It's not hard at all!

You can leave the drive on the back and just remove the "lower" Or you can completely remove the drive. (shift to FWD before you do it though)

If you leave the "upper" on the gimbal, it probably doesn't really matter what gear it's in....... but it's somewhat harder to get the shift shaft back together and keep it in the same gear(or N) when you push it all back up together.......

I like to remove the drive since I also want to look at the U-joints, bellows, gimbal bearing, check alignment etc....(and if you have not done this in the last couple of years.....it's absolutely DUE!)

You really should get a Mercruiser service manual if you don't have one......

Regards,

Rick

ziggy

Admiral

Lastly, none of the videos address reinstalling the stern, any tricks to making it easier, or things to look out for?
yep, it's heavy and a two person job at best. i agree w/ Rick, take the whole thing off. there's pm to do by pulling the drive. + taking the lower off and more importantly, putting it on is much much easier on the bench. like a 1 man show.

if ya do remove the lower only. continue to have it in fwd. if not just for the reference so ya can put it back together again. i always get grief with the water tube and guide lining up. best i can say is do it like the s/m says. tube in the water pocket cover, guide in the water pump housing w/grease on the ends. load the prop with a bungee in fwd once in fwd to keep it there. if the prop turn cw at all it won't be in fwd any more and may cause ya to assemble the shift shafts incorrectly.
-don't forget the quad ring.
-don't forget the washer on top of the lower shift shaft.
-ya can eliminate the oring if ya got it at the top of the drive shaft in the lower.
-feel the first drops of gear lub for metal shavings when draining it. there should be none.
-i like to pressure test the drive while it's off (when still a complete drive, not seperate upper and lower). see if there's anything that could be getting ready to cause me grief.
-check for seal wear just under the splines on the drive shaft in the lower.
-use correct tightening specs. for the water pump housing. the bolts are not real tight and measured in in. lbs.. there are 3 different torque values for the 4 bolts that hold it on too.

it's not a horrible job, but not the easiest either. take your time and read the s/m on the proper procedure. if ya don't got a s/m. get one. a mercruiser one. s/m #2 (C-90-71707)is what ya want.

if ya got questions while your doing the deed. feel free to come here and ask away. lots of good folks here that are more than willing to help...

blueyacht

Cadet

Just removed the lower unit on the outdrive and no worries. The waterpump was so bad that it had melted like a candle. Needless to say the impeller only had 2 wings left. Just waiting for rpl parts now...thanks again for the imput and the confidence building.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice reply Ziggy!
Especially the info on the water tube install.
I was putting the water tube in the guide tube first years ago. STUPID!!

blueyacht

Cadet

may be getting ahead of myself because I havent tested everything yet, but my concern is that before removing everything and putting the drive in forward, this would keep me from being able to turn the prop by hand (obviously) but I ended up taking the entire stern off....that shift shaft can be a bugger. I was told not to let the prop shaft turn while doing all this but found it next to impossible to not turn it while reassembling the impeller and top portion of the water pump. What Im getting at is after reassembly and the drive still in forward, the prop now turns freely. couldnt test it yet because I need to get lower unit oil. Did I make an ultimate rookie mistake? If so, how do you eleviate it?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The "key" thing here is keeping the lower in forward gear whilst putting it all back together.

Because the lower uses "shift-dogs" that "ratchet" (when in gear), you have to keep CCW "pressure" on the prop to keep the shift shaft from moving (the dogs) out of gear. just turn it back into gear (it's in forward if you cannot easily turn the prop CCW.....you'll hear/feel ratcheting if you turn the prop CW while holding the shift shaft in FWD))

Some people use a bungee cord to hold CCW pressure on the prop. then as they push the lower into the upper they slowly turn the prop (CCW) to align the splines in the "upper". The pump vanes should not flip because you would have used the grease of your choice to lube them up prior to putting the impeller in......

blueyacht

Cadet

so obviously something did not go right...was just about to put the gear lube in when i decided to rotate the throttle back in forth, only i wasnt even able to get it back into neutral from the forward position....i really dont want to take it in after getting so far. What can I do to fix this?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

sounds like the shift arm roller did not get in between the prongs on the shift cable slide at the end of the shift cable

if you pull the drive off about 1" you will see the arm with the roller and it should be between the prongs of the shift slide (stbd side of bell hsg)

blueyacht

Cadet

i tried that initially, but it wasnt enough, so i had to pull the entire outdrive off to play with things to see where the problem lies. It seems as if the lower unit is no longer in the forward position. The brass shift bolt (my lack of knowledge is going to come into play here)on the outdrive that attatches to (or slides into) the shift arm roller will only turn in one direction, and not the other. Soooo how do you get a lower unit BACk into the forward direction? Thank you to everyones patience and assistance.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

how do you get a lower unit BACk into the forward direction?

with the drive off, turn the splined shaft with the u-joint assy clockwise while rotating the brass shift foot clockwise

once the shift foot is facing straight fore and aft, the propshaft should also be turning clockwise

if not, you didn't get the splines of the shift shaft in the lower lined up with the shift foot properly when reassembling the drive halves

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

do you know what the foot and shoe are? when apart turn shiftshaft cw looking at to top. prop should lock ccw. quad ring on with adhesive. water tube in top half . lay on side on bench. turn shift foot straight and slide together starting water tube then shift shaft after shift shaft starts turn prop to engage to splines.

blueyacht

Cadet

pffffeeww....got it straight....right..correct, that is....you all are lifesavers!