water pump tube install

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice
HGi
I'm having a hard time getting the water pump tube lined after replacing the water pump. I've tried fitting it up into the middle housing and putting it into the grommet on the water pump. So far tube 2 me 0.
Does anybody have agood way to do this.
Thanks & Take Care
Ops sorry 1990 25 hp motor

TJ

Last edited:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: water pump tube install

Fingers up inside to get the watertube and grommet lined up, while moving the LU up, the remove fingers and continue up. If the water tube has been seriously pushed around, it may need some persuasion to get back in the right place to line up. It helps sometimes to put some grease around the inner grommet surface, so the tube is less likely to catch and fold the grommet. It's usually a ten second deal.

mckee1787

Seaman Apprentice

Helps to have a second set of hands. Sometimes when I'm by myself I set the motor vertically and use rachet straps to help inch up the lower unit while making and adjustments to the pickup tube. works great!

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice

OK Got it
Put a floor jack under the lower unit. Installed the tube in the upper housing and lined up the water pump and tube as i jacked it up. You can only see until you are almost there. Pue 3 bolt in and tested . It pees like crazy. Good enough for me.
Take care TJ