Water pump replacement kit with a little plastic piece????1996 Evinrude 25 hp

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice
Was that little plastic piece supposed to go somewhere in the water pump I just installed? If so what is it and where does it go? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1996 Evinrude 25 hp Model E25REDA

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water pump replacement kit with a little plastic piece????1996 Evinrude 25 hp

the plasic piece is the key it goes betwen the shaft and the impeller

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water pump replacement kit with a little plastic piece????1996 Evinrude 25 hp

great... so let me get this right. The shaft is the drive shaft...thick metal that turns the gears... the shifting rod is the thin metal rod that unbolts from the gear house under the water pump---have i got this right so far?

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes on the drive shaft is a flat spot you stand the key in it with the tin side clockwise and put the impeller on

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you try it without that plastic piece it probably won't pump water.

AlTn

Commander

marineengine.com has parts diagrams that may help if you are working without the factory manual

stephens.richard

Seaman Apprentice

I need to get the factory manual... I just havent decided if i am going to keep it or sell it. I intended on selling it but after it stopped pumping water i thought it best to fix before sale. Now i am kinda attached to it LOL