Water pump R+R Question

tendollar

Seaman
1998 J150. New motor to me, going through things and replacing. 1st project will be water pump. What wont I get with the WP kit that I will need to order seperatly? Best I can tell from my manual is I should order: Upper/lower exhaust housing adapter seals, drive shaft grommet,water tube seal ? anything experiance has taught you guys/gals to order "just in case" ?

Thanks, Tom

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water pump R+R Question

just order a water pump kit, the rest should be ok.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Apply a nice coat of oil to all the rubber components when you put it back together and you'll be fine. It helps things slide back together easily and prevents the rubber from being gouged.;)

DKennimer

Seaman

I'm about to replace the water pump on my 1977 evinrude also. When re-installing the lower unit, does the shaft and gear link go back easily or is there a trick, the rest of the job I'm at ease doing, but the re-installation scares me... Thanks!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You don't really want a coat of oil on the rubber parts, especially the impeller. Some oil may deterioriate the rubber. If you need the impeller to turn free for installation use soap. Also make sure to use the 5001595 kit.