Water pump dripping 5.0 GL

Laneman25

Seaman
I think its the water pump, hard to tell. All hoses are tight. Anyway, it's about 1 drop per second. Can I run it once this weekend, or is this a high risk?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Which pump? Raw water or circulation pump?

Laneman25

Seaman
Can't tell where it's coming ftom. Drips on belts. I found an old thread about this issue and changing a shaft seal. Fresh water use only, carb engine.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If it's the circulation pump (bolted to block) then replace before use. Dripping means the thing is soon to fail

If it's the raw water pump (bolted to crank) then that one is easily rebuilt, and you can probably use it this weekend, however should repair or replace soon

Laneman25

Seaman
If it's the circulation pump (bolted to block) then replace before use. Dripping means the thing is soon to fail

If it's the raw water pump (bolted to crank) then that one is easily rebuilt, and you can probably use it this weekend, however should repair or replace soon
Thank you Scott. I'll try to get a better look. I think it's the raw water pump. It's splashing off the belts

Scott06

Admiral
Thank you Scott. I'll try to get a better look. I think it's the raw water pump. It's splashing off the belts
Probably ok to use just keep an eye on it. How far from the ramp or where you keep it are you going?

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
Water pumps are made to weep before they fail. If it's not a hose with a leak then replace the water pump. It will get worse.