water pump and shift shaft position

workboot

Seaman
motor is a 2002 200 hp efi serial # ot 556519 , i replaced water pump and did not read the shift shaft set up as in the stickey above , just left control in neutral . do i have to take apart again or is there a way to check to be sure it's right . first time doing a mercury

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Well if your control is in N, engine off, and you can spin the prop freely, you are half way there. If you shift into F gear and the prop resists turning CCW viewed from the rear but ratchets as it turns CW you have it right. Don't shift into R without the engine running or somebody turning the prop while moving the shift lever, but if you do it resists turning in both directions as it doesn't have the over run clutch function like F geart. There are vertical sided cogs and slots that have to line up before the shift mechanism will fully engage R gear.

workboot

Seaman
Well if your control is in N, engine off, and you can spin the prop freely, you are half way there. If you shift into F gear and the prop resists turning CCW viewed from the rear but ratchets as it turns CW you have it right. Don't shift into R without the engine running or somebody turning the prop while moving the shift lever, but if you do it resists turning in both directions as it doesn't have the over run clutch function like F geart. There are vertical sided cogs and slots that have to line up before the shift mechanism will fully engage R gear.
thanks mark , it does spin freely in neutral , i'll go put in forward and see if it ratchets turning cw , boat is not at my house but i'll go check out and let you know how it turns out !

workboot

Seaman
thanks mark , it does spin freely in neutral , i'll go put in forward and see if it ratchets turning cw , boat is not at my house but i'll go check out and let you know how it turns out !
ok so it does spin freely in neutral , but put it in forward and turn the prop and the engine turns over (flywheel moves cw) but does not ratchet

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
ok so it does spin freely in neutral , but put it in forward and turn the prop and the engine turns over (flywheel moves cw) but does not ratchet
You have to rotate the prop in both directions...one direction (CCW) it is locked to the crankshaft, the other direction (CW) the prop should move in and out (toward the LU casting and away, about 1/8-1/4 inch) and as it does you hear a clicking sound...like going over the teeth of a hand saw blade....power head doesn't turn when ratcheting.....are you saying it doesn't do that? What about Reverse?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Please bypass the above posted info as it relates to older models..... Most all V-6 motors from around 1999 and up use non ratcheting gears/dogs. If you shift it into gear and it turns motor your good as long as you got a neutral

workboot

Seaman
Please bypass the above posted info as it relates to older models..... Most all V-6 motors from around 1999 and up use non ratcheting gears/dogs. If you shift it into gear and it turns motor your good as long as you got a neutral

workboot

Seaman
yes i have neutral and engine turns when turning prop , so i started engine put into forward and reverse and all is good , thanks for the help !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Scuse me sir...putting out false information again...

Well Faz, what do you do when you chop the throttle and the prop quits turning while the boat is still running 50 MPH...for a number?

I had a 70 hp Johnson lockup (over heated and before the days of alarms) on me at about 40 MPH one day on a Kingfisher 15' and if I would have had a windshield I would have had to dig my teeth out of it. Couldn't believe that boat could stop that fast. That was back when I didn't know about the workings of engines all that much, just ran them. OMC LU must have been cogs and slots, otherwise the ORC should have prevented the sudden stop.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I guess your question is what happens on deceleration if prop don't ratchet(free spin)?

Well the gearcase and prop drag tend to push the bow down faster on the non ratchet, just need adjust driving style to get used to it..

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
motor is a 2002 200 hp efi serial # ot 556519 , i replaced water pump and did not read the shift shaft set up as in the stickey above , just left control in neutral . do i have to take apart again or is there a way to check to be sure it's right . first time doing a mercury
If you had the engine in N to get the lower unit back in remove the flywheel cover and slightly rotate the flywheel to get the spline to line up. It should not be off by much unless you rotated the shaft repairing the water pump.

workboot

Seaman
If you had the engine in N to get the lower unit back in remove the flywheel cover and slightly rotate the flywheel to get the spline to line up. It should not be off by much unless you rotated the shaft repairing the water pump.
it's all put back together and engine runs in forward and reverse as stated in post #8 , just want to make sure it's good to go before i put in water