Water Pressure Gauge, Yes You Can

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Several months ago I tried to install a water pressure gauge on my 2018 Yamaha F150 outboard and found a couple of posts of guys showing where to plug the hose in on the engine side. It did not work. I contacted Yamaha and was told that the motor runs with "high volume and low pressure" that a gauge would not show any water pressure and I repeated that claim to other guys asking about installing a water pressure gauge on their Yamaha outboard. After some further investigation I found the port, thru an adapter, to connect the hose to. It worked and it works fine. Since I was under the impression that I'm dealing with low water pressure I bought a gauge that reads 0 to 15. The gauge starts reading just above idle and pegs out before half throttle which is fine with me. If I would do it again I would get a gauge that reads up to 30 or 35psi. Overall I'm happy that I don't have to look for the pisser each time I start the motor. I'm posting this in hopes it may help someone in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_6336.jpg
    IMG_6336.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 8

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
there should be a PRV Pressure Relief Valve that opens up to dump extra water pressure at high RPMs.
you might want to make sure that funtions properly, not stuck closed

Just to make sure