Water or Coke

oddjob

Commander
Re: Water or Coke

I notice the water thingy more now as I'm older and do not work outdoors anymore. I have to be very careful even doing yard work because I'm not in the habit of drinking the amount required. I have worked myself into heat exhuastion on a couple of occasions.

Ron G

Commander

Pony i cant drink that man beer like,the beast or pbr i got to stay with budlight to keep my gut from becoming more of a shed :) and that other stuff makes my head hurt.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I never drink water. I drink Diet Dr Pepper mostly, a beer on occasion. I am very active, and never suffer from dehydration issues, even when I was in the service and people were dropping like flies around me due to the Georgia heat (and they drank water all the time). Granted, Diet Dr Pepper is little more than carbonated water with a bit of flavoring. I can't drink regular soda, too fattening any more.<br /><br />We can always count on Ken to dispell these false rumors that get perpetrated onto us. I have always know that we glean water from everything we consume and we need to just follow our bodies. I laugh at all those people spending arseloads of loot on overpriced bottled water, then complaining about gas prices. Please...

Pony

Rear Admiral

I can see your point Ron. I like to take my shots at Bud products any chance I get.... :) <br /><br />The beast is good, but for me a High Life is the ticket.......Being from Milwaukee I just can't force myself to drink the St. Louis stuff.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Pony.:<br />but for me a High Life is the ticket......
Couldn't agree more...when I'm out of homemade stuff. :D

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ironically Pepsi is more acidic and has a higher content of sugar than Coke. My son's dental hygeinist had a poster regarding the sugar content and acid pH of various common drinks, soda, fitness water and coffee. Mountain Dew had more sugar (big surprise) but lower acid than both. Pepsi being worse in both areas was surprising to me. <br /><br />I suffer from shoulder joint pain and my old doctor told me to drink more water. I thought he was nuts, but I did anyway and guess what, the shoulder pain abates when I drink more water and worsens when I increase my soda intake. He said it was because of the diuretic action of the soda drawing the moisture out of the cartilage in my shoulder joint.<br /><br />I try to drink one mug of soda in the morning and then switch to water for the rest of the day. As for the beer, wine, spirits and coffee being good for you, notice the studies ALWAYS mention it in moderation. Even dentists say soda is OK, in moderation.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Doh! I was gonna contribute but then realised I was thinking of the wrong type of "Coke" :D :D <br /><br /><br />
Coke is a dyaretic (sp)
Diuretic :p sorry Dunaruna :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

What I have been taught is that when anything is added to water, the water then becomes a carrier for the additive. Thus the hydration factor of water is gone. When water is consumed without anything added, it only then does what it was meant to do. <br /><br />Straight water is an essitial need for the body. It is ashame that most health problems could be prevented if people would just drink water.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Everyone needs to reread the snopes thing about water and soda before continuing these health claims.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Camping trip, forgot the antacids, what do you do? No problem, have a few sips of coke.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

SS, your information is incorrect. The body gleans the water from anything the water is present in, it doesn't matter. The additives can have other affects like stimulus from caffiene or weight gain from calories, but in the end the body still gets its water from everything consumed. This is the sort of misinformation that has all the peoples running out and overhydrating. You body can only take in so much water over a period of time, the rest exits the body as, well, waste. Drink 8 liters of soda, coffee, whatever, then drink 8 liters of water. The pure water isn't going to magically replace the water that was in the soda/coffee/whatever. It is true that a person who strictly takes in pure water and does not consume anything with additives will probably have better overall health, but he will not be any better hydrated.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I don't agree.<br /><br />If you drink 8 litres of cocacola you will not absorb 8 litres of water simply because the caffiene promotes excess waste, unlike pure water.

ebbtide176

Commander

i just drink coffee at work, 2 cups. not on the weekends. i drink icewater for the drive to work, and during the normal workday. at night i drink beer, mostly. i don't normally drink soda. <br />i don't have kidney stones, internal pains or problems with irregularities or dehydration. <br />but even tho i consume @ a gal+ of plain water/day, i still might not live the avg life of my relatives - who regularly make it to 90+/-. i think its more about maintaining the stress factor.<br /><br />just my 2c

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

JasonJ, now ya got me confused. If that was so, then people stranded out at sea could drink salt water. After all their body would seperate the salt from the water. :confused: <br /><br />I know with my system, if I drink beverages all day without any water my body aches all over. Could be the hangover, but I do know I'm at the watering hole getting rehydrated the next day with the good stuff. Then my aches and pains subside.<br /><br />This topic is like others that it has a difference in opinions. Everyones body maybe the same, but what works for one can be fatal for another.

oddjob

Commander

Based on my experience(and mush contruction in tropical and desert weather) in my 20's and 30's.....I believe I will over hydrate as much as possible. And it will be pure water or lo salt and sugar. Dont need to overwork my kidney and liver filtering and segregatring water based solutions.

KRS

Banned

Phelps Dodge runs a leaching mine operation in Morenci, Arizona. I toured it the other day and the tour guide explained the giant leach heaps of material have acid that drips down and dissolves the rock and copper and pools at the bottom and this solution is electro-winned to obtain the copper using cathodes, anodes, and lots of electricity. The acid solution that dissolves the rock is the exact same acidity as ..... [drum roll please] COCA COLA !!!