Water logged foam... best way to dry out

Status
Not open for further replies.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water logged foam... best way to dry out

Purchasing used equipment is a learning experience!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you place the boat for sale with the tag line "project boat"...and price accordingly, the purchaser will walk into the sale with a different attitude than a family looking to go boating the same day.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

So wet foam deems it a project boat!?!?!?!? I went fishing on it today. Its not a project boat.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

So wet foam deems it a project boat!?!?!?!? I went fishing on it today. Its not a project boat.

If I were you I'd quit while I was ahead. It's a project you're not interested in doing so that makes it a project boat.

I get the feeling they'll be a 16' Wellcraft showing up in the 'Craigslist TLC' thread shortly.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I were you I'd quit while I was ahead. It's a project you're not interested in doing so that makes it a project boat.

I get the feeling they'll be a 16' Wellcraft showing up in the 'Craigslist TLC' thread shortly.

So wet foam deems it a project boat!?!?!?
Yep...makes it much heavier than it was designed to be.

I guess it is a future project for you , Glen, or the future owner. Sorry things are soaked under your deck !:(

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

*there'll be

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

lol.......just in case anyone didn't quite understand about drying the foam.....

it will never dry out.....if by some length of time and several heat / fan sources and an easy bake oven..you do manage to dry it out...... once the foam touches water again.....it will instantly re soak.....just like a sponge.

there are four options to a person with a waterlogged boat.....

1. a match and a gallon of gasoline.
2. a land fill.
3. sell it and rip someone off.
4.roll up your sleeves and get to work.

You were doing OK until you added the "and rip someone off". I sold a boat with water in the foam for a fair price to someone with full disclosure. Yes, I took something of a beating on it, but the price was agreed on by both parties. By the way, I also bought it with wet foam. I was ignorant. So it is possible to rip someone off. In all fairness to the seller, I should have done a little more due diligence in my purchase.

TerryMSU

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, I bought mine with wet foam too, from a baptist preacher!! He said some rain had gotten in there, come to find out it was a crack in the hull letting the water in. I've fixed the crack, along with numerous other things, mostly electrical. I didn't realize how big of a deal the wet foam is. It's only under a small area of the deck, I think it will be OK until I graduate with my masters degree and can afford something better.

twilight808

Recruit

I total agree with cutting it out because I am coming to the resolution right now. Foam does not dry out once it holds water.

Bondo

Staff member

I total agree with cutting it out because I am coming to the resolution right now. Foam does not dry out once it holds water.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard twilight808,....

Please don't be posting in the archives....
They're for Learnin',... Not posting too...

Status
Not open for further replies.