Water lines on pontoons came back so fast!

jjaaam

Recruit
Hi all - first post here.

I have a 2002 Tracker pontoon. I’ll admit I haven’t been the best with upkeep over the years, but I’m coming around, LOL.

Just a few days ago I cleaned my pontoons for the first time. I used Star Brite Ultimate Aluminum Cleaner/Restorer. It took 4 or 5 applications but they cleaned up pretty good. They did look a little white/hazy, but I just figured I might have to polish them at some point.

Today was the first time in the water since they were cleaned. After only a few hours, the pontoons look almost as bad as they did before I cleaned them. Very prominent water line and stains.

What did I do wrong? I’d really appreciate any advice/guidance as to what I need to do.

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to seal the toon log surface with sharkhyde or similar

jjaaam

Recruit
You have to seal the toon log surface with sharkhyde or similar
Is this because they are so old?

I have a friend who uses aluminum cleaner every year. I don’t think he polishes or seals after cleaning. By no means am I debating your advice - I’m sure you’re right - but I wonder why he doesn’t have the same problems?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could be different alloys, who knows. However when you clean aluminum, it will corrode quickly. Depending on ph of water, it may stain. Hence the suggestion to apply a sealer

jjaaam

Recruit
So I need to clean them again, then seal. Got it. Hoping that the cleaning won’t take so many applications this time, LOL