Water Leak in 55HP Cylinder

bigk77

Cadet
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9
I have a 55HP Wards Sea King made by Chrysler. When I pull the top plug it has a nice color, and when I pull the bottom plug it looks brand new. According to my Clymer manual, it says that a water leak in the cylinder is the problem. I also notice gas coming out of a small hole in the bottom portion of the lower unit. This is my 1st boat, so I have no clue where to look for this leak. Could it be a head gasket? Where should I start, and what should I be looking for? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! I'll try to post a pic of this "hole" I'm talking about tommorow. Water flows through this hole too. I'm guessing it should be all water and no gas.
 

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
267
Re: Water Leak in 55HP Cylinder

Do you have a compression tester? If so you could do a compression test. If not, you will have to pull the head. Does this motor get used in salt water? If so be very careful removing the head bolts, they are known to break.
 

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
749
Re: Water Leak in 55HP Cylinder

If it's the same as the Chrysler, the gasket set is G-455.
 

bigk77

Cadet
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9
Re: Water Leak in 55HP Cylinder

Thanks for the reply. This motor is not used in salt water. I ran a compression test on it when I bought it a few weeks ago. From what I remember it was 110 in each cylinder. So the conclusion is head gasket? Is this what I should replace? Anything else I should look for? Thanks!
 
Top