water jacket drain plugs

gibrown

Cadet
The cold weather has broken the plastic pet cocks in the water jackets of a 4.3 (220 hP) mercruiser. The remenants of the plugs are still in the openings. Best way to remove?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: water jacket drain plugs

Tough question indeed. I would post this here on iboats in the MerCruiser forum. The MerCruiser experts should be able to answer this.

70mustang

Seaman Apprentice

This happened to me also.<br />Some blocks have an adapter that screws into the block which has the plastic pet **** screw into it. If so remove the adapter. It will be easier to remove the plastic when its off the block.<br /> To remove the plastic, heat up a screwdriver just big enough to fit into the threads. With the screwdriver hot, push it into the plastic to melt the plastic and get a good grip. Don't push it all the way through, just enough to get a grip. Then reverse the thread and unscrew the plastic piece.<br />This worked for me.<br />Thanks,<br />Marty

70mustang

Seaman Apprentice

This happened to me also.<br />Some blocks have an adapter that screws into the block which has the plastic pet **** screw into it. If so remove the adapter. It will be easier to remove the plastic when its off the block.<br /> To remove the plastic, heat up a screwdriver just big enough to fit into the threads. With the screwdriver hot, push it into the plastic to melt the plastic and get a good grip. Don't push it all the way through, just enough to get a grip. Then reverse the thread and unscrew the plastic piece.<br />This worked for me.<br />Thanks,<br />Marty