Water issues

Columbia Tom

Cadet
I generally change my oil
Dealers are extremely expensive charging by the hour including tons of spare parts to change and charge for a huge after pandemia profit. The OP has received lots of tech answers regarding both escenarios, a matter to check which one applied for that issue to happen. Out of curiosity, after how many run hours while excessively trolling has the crankcase's oil been changed, was it done by an hour meter or head meter LOL!!

Happy Boating
I generally change my oil one time a season. using my "head meter"I'd say 100 hrs would be close.

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Ok so I did compression test and all seemed good .165psi in each cylinder.Then did a leak down test and didn't seem to have any issues. all cylinders held 28lbs pressure with minimal air leaking from oil filling port..and no real pressure loss on guage.all cylinders acted the same.of I have a water jet issue will either of these tests show this?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Water jacket issue
Have not stated which of the making oil dilution scenarios stated on post 7 applies to your boating requirements. Have you retorqued with a torque wrench all powerhead's gaskets that deals with watter ?

Happy Boating

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Have not stated which of the making oil dilution scenarios stated on post 7 applies to your boating requirements. Have you retorqued with a torque wrench all powerhead's gaskets that deals with watter ?

Happy Boating
Yes everything that was visible.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yes everything that was visible.
A faulty head or exhaust gasket if having one can account to achieve water intrussion that will accumulate in the oil pan, same as with a car. If the general bolt's retorque went well assuming all the related water gaskets are still in top sealing working condition which isn't known, blame that issue to any of the 3 scenarios mentioned earlier. How old is that motor that's been running in salt water ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Columbia Tom

Cadet
It's a 2000 60 hp 4stroke.hasnt run in saltwater since I have owned it.on yr 5.Iwould think the leak down test would show a bad gasket of any kind.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It's a 2000 60 hp 4stroke.hasnt run in saltwater since I have owned it.on yr 5.Iwould think the leak down test would show a bad gasket of any kind.
So it's a 22 year oldie motor which hasn't been used in salt water since you've owned it since the last 5 years, what about the 17 previous years of usage ? With salt motors all water gaskets gets old tends to let mini water droplets inside the motor which will accumulate over time in the oil pan and increase the oil level whereas a motor running with a near shot cylinder gasket detetced thru a leak down test will achieve uneven combustion issues, motor will run like crap. Old and New Head Gasket Comparison :
Head Gasket Failure.JPG
What I'm pointing out is that water gaskets are not eternal, will work as were intended to work when new and be shot much latter specially if that old...

Happy Boating

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Thanks.So the motor passed both compression check and leak down test.Filled it with oil and took it out.trolled around for a few hours and it ran like a champ.Have a fuel issue going on I think.motor is cutting out when I try to get up to plane. It comes in and out of it ,by that I mean runs full power and then doesn't but like I said it will run at low speeds for hours.Could it be a bad fuel pump or would it not run at all if the pump was bad?.Also checked the oil when I got home and it didn't show any signs of water in the oil !!.I believe it was a condensation issue after all.

davidvo68

Recruit
Ok so I did compression test and all seemed good .165psi in each cylinder.Then did a leak down test and didn't seem to have any issues. all cylinders held 28lbs pressure with minimal air leaking from oil filling port..and no real pressure loss on guage.all cylinders acted the same.of I have a water jet issue will either of these tests show this
Could you share on steps how to perform compression test? I have the same issue.
TIA.

Columbia Tom

Cadet
So it's a 22 year oldie motor which hasn't been used in salt water since you've owned it since the last 5 years, what about the 17 previous years of usage ? With salt motors all water gaskets gets old tends to let mini water droplets inside the motor which will accumulate over time in the oil pan and increase the oil level whereas a motor running with a near shot cylinder gasket detetced thru a leak down test will achieve uneven combustion issues, motor will run like crap. Old and New Head Gasket Comparison :
View attachment 360225
What I'm pointing out is that water gaskets are not eternal, will work as were intended to work when new and be shot much latter specially if that old...

Happy Boating
Trying to get head of .do I need to split the lower unit.2000 Suzuki 60hp 4 stroke

Columbia Tom

Cadet
View attachment 360225

Happy Boating
Well thanks for your advice.This is where I'm at...did oil change, took out for short trip.came back and found oil was completely saturated with water.Decided to go for the head gasket senerio . Got the head off but didn't find any obvious gasket issues..it will get replaced with all the other ones that were exposed.where I didn't see anything real bad on head gasket I'm wondering about the exhaust gasket you mentioned.is there a way for water to mix with the oil through there?where is it?OMG what a job so far and still have to put it back together.shouldnt be bad.

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Doesn't seem like it was the problem but it not sure

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_103353608.jpg
    IMG_20220527_103353608.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220527_103300190.jpg
    IMG_20220527_103300190.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
That top piston looks cleaner than all the rest. If I was a betting man I would say there could have been water intrusion there.