Water issues

Columbia Tom

Cadet
I have a 2000 df60t suzuki.noticed oil sheen in water.motor runs fine and didn't overheat, seemed to have full power. Drained my oil at end of season and found water in the oil.i am wondering if there is any way water can get in the engine oil other than the head gasket leaking.also oil was coming out above the lower unit connection.I am about to tear into it looking for the problem.any ideas on what might be going on?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to IBoats,

4 stroke motors tends to make oil, that's finding water in the oil due to temp variations which produces condensation inside the oil pan. It's the spirit of such beasts...

Happy Boating

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Welcome to IBoats,

4 stroke motors tends to make oil, that's finding water in the oil due to temp variations which produces condensation inside the oil pan. It's the spirit of such beasts...

Happy Boating
Thanks for the reply.I mainly use the motor for low speed trolling.do you think this could be causing the issue?I don't see how it could but read something about it causing issues . Thanks again

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the reply.I mainly use the motor for low speed trolling.do you think this could be causing the issue?I don't see how it could but read something about it causing issues . Thanks again
You're Welcome,
If trolling for too long definitely, it's specified as being the major cause for making oil. In that case change your oil at each 50 run hours instead the usual 100 run hours if finding water shooks you. LOL!!

Happy Boating

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have read of making oil due to fuel getting into the oil running at low RPM /trolling speeds for extended hours and the motor not running hot enough to cook it out, but I never heard of making oil with water condensation.

I am sure corrosion can eat thru many places to let water into the oil
leak down test should tell if the leak is in head gasket or combustion chamber

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would definitely worry if I found water in my oil and oil in the water! I'm new to outboards so I won't offer advice that might be wrong, but get that checked out and don't assume its condensation....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This making oil which it's an oil dilution issue comes from the lack of reaching a higher temperature to evaporate the normal fuel and moisture that accumulates in the crankcase which finally ends in the oil sump.

Boating escenarios in which oil dilution takes place : Operating at idle, trolling speeds for long time periods, repeated short trips at slow speeds, quick stop and go operations and operating in cooler climates on constant basis. If you're constantly running your beloved 4 stroke motor at wot outside the mentioned escenarios, sleep well, not an issue to worry about.

If you are changing religiosly your oil at each 100 run metered hours will be good to only add 3/4 of the max oil level marked at the upper portion of the dipstick, the oil dilution will take care to fill it up towards max in 100 run hours.

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
I have a 2000 df60t suzuki.noticed oil sheen in water.motor runs fine and didn't overheat, seemed to have full power. Drained my oil at end of season and found water in the oil.i am wondering if there is any way water can get in the engine oil other than the head gasket leaking.also oil was coming out above the lower unit connection.I am about to tear into it looking for the problem.any ideas on what might be going on?
When you found "water in your oil" was this oil grey? If so, there's a pretty good chance this is way beyond a little condensate build up.

Does the engine seem to be warming up correctly? Does it have a thermostat installed?

Is this a salt water motor?

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Thanks.Im afraid your right about to much condensation.I had milky oil.I could see a small amount of water in oil but don't think it would turn milky.motor does heat up and seems to run normal.It hasn't been in saltwater since I've owned it.actualy noticed it coming out of lower motor housing above lower unit connection while it was in my driveway.thats what got my attention.not sure if it's the head gasket or something else.ive read something about it possibly being a gasket in the oil sump but I'm not sure.Still in search mode

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A matter to check if it's a water intrussion issue due to a faulty cylinder head, exhaust gasket or any other gasket that deals with water. Would suggest to torque back to factory specs the head and exhaust gaskets, over time and use will cede and will let water inside the crankcase which in turn will rise the oil level found at the dipstick.

Happy Boating

ahicks

Captain
Thanks.Im afraid your right about to much condensation.I had milky oil.I could see a small amount of water in oil but don't think it would turn milky.motor does heat up and seems to run normal.It hasn't been in saltwater since I've owned it.actualy noticed it coming out of lower motor housing above lower unit connection while it was in my driveway.thats what got my attention.not sure if it's the head gasket or something else.ive read something about it possibly being a gasket in the oil sump but I'm not sure.Still in search mode
Water coming from lower is likely coming from drains. I wouldn't worry about those too much.

You need to identify where the motor is getting that water. Head gasket is generally a safe bet, but in any case, that's where I would start.

ahicks

Captain
A matter to check if it's a water intrussion issue due to a faulty cylinder head, exhaust gasket or any other gasket that deals with water. Would suggest to torque back to factory specs the head and exhaust gaskets, over time and use will cede and will let water inside the crankcase which in turn will rise the oil level found at the dipstick.

Happy Boating
When working on a 4 stroke, this is such a dumb idea it barely rises to the level of getting a response. A REALLY bad plan. We've covered the "why" this is dumb before.

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Water coming from lower is likely coming from drains. I wouldn't worry about those too much.

You need to identify where the motor is getting that water. Head gasket is generally a safe bet, but in any case, that's where I would start.
Thanks.when I said I saw the leaking it wasn't just water .It was the same milky oil that was in the crankcase.thats why I'm thinking it's the head gasket.dont know if there's any other way for oil to get in that part of the motor.i appreciate the help

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry mate, but this is a Suzuki motor, not your beloved Honda motors you love boating and tinkering with. All other motor brands gaskets cedes over time and use due to heat and that happens to be a 22 year oldie motor to which absolutely nothing has been done up to date apart from using it over the years.

Let the OP decide, must check with a torque wrench if all the stated gaskets were found torqued to factory specs or not. If needed retorquing and the water intrusion stopped thumbs up. If not that motor is undergoing any of the make oil dilution escenarios stated earlier in post 8. If suspect there's a faulty head or exhaust gasket for water to make its way inside the powerhead should see rusted spark plug's tips. Check current spark plugs condition.

Your post has contributed 0 to help the OP post, was just a waste of written space BTW, Would suggest has nothing to do with Will suggest...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Columbia Tom

Cadet
Time to consult the local Yamaha shop.----They may have seen the issue before.

Sorry mate, but this is a Suzuki motor, not your beloved Honda motors you love boating and tinkering with. All other motor brands gaskets cedes over time and use due to heat and that happens to be a 22 year oldie motor to which absolutely nothing has been done up to date apart from using it over the years.

Let the OP decide, must check with a torque wrench if all the stated gaskets were found torqued to factory specs or not. If needed retorquing and the water intrusion stopped thumbs up. If not that motor is undergoing any of the make oil dilution escenarios stated earlier in post 8. If suspect there's a faulty head or exhaust gasket for water to make its way inside the powerhead should see rusted spark plug's tips. Check current spark plugs condition.

Your post has contributed 0 to help the OP post, was just a waste of written space BTW, Would suggest has nothing to do with Will suggest...

Happy Boating
Thanks.... will check plugs and check torque of all bolts . I'd be happy if that's the problem . Will post results back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
My mistake as it is in the Yamaha / Suzuki forum.------So hurry to your friendly Suzuki shop !!

ahicks

Captain
My mistake as it is in the Yamaha / Suzuki forum.------So hurry to your friendly Suzuki shop !!
Honest question. In your experience, assuming you were a rookie without a friend in this dealership, do you believe they would enter in a conversation on this topic?

Or would you be far more likely to hear "bring it in and we'll pull it down for you".

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends on business model of the shop.------Some will help and some see every boat owner as a " source of revenue "-----Up to the owner of the motor to find the answer.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Dealers are extremely expensive charging by the hour including tons of spare parts to change and charge for a huge after pandemia profit. The OP has received lots of tech answers regarding both escenarios, a matter to check which one applied for that issue to happen. Out of curiosity, after how many run hours while excessively trolling has the crankcase's oil been changed, was it done by an hour meter or head meter LOL!!

Happy Boating