Water Inside Motor Guide W55

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1994, serial# 98941294. I managed to wedge an obstruction between where the composite shaft attaches to the lower unit. It pulled out a bit and snapped back in when I raised it. The seal is broken and water got in. The motor was working even full of water! I managed to open the lower unit up and drain out the water. Everything is airing dry. Questions:
  1. Can I reseal that shaft and if so, what are the steps?
  2. Will I need any other parts- new gasket rings, brushes etc.
Thank you.

IMG_20230112_172908355.jpg

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
There's some Youtube videos out there on the process. Motorguide has a parts listing for the unit.

Mine's going to a shop once I have some extra $$$ as it seized this past year...sitting dry in a shrink wrapped boat. Works but sounds like crapola running.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
electric motors will run underwater assuming low mineral content

yes, they can be re-sealed. I would first rinse out the entire motor with alcohol to remove all traces of water, then re-lube everything that has lube, then re-seal

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for your replys. I've found a few YouTube videos o n Minn Kotas but nothing on wireless MotorGuides. If you know of any, a link would be appreciated. Does anyone know if the shaft is threaded where it goes into the lower unit? It looks to be. It pulled straight out on me and I'm afraid I may have damaged any threads on the shaft or would the sealant take care of that? Some other questions: Are the magnets the only thing holding the stator in its housing? It seems to want to resist pushing out, like it's on a rubber band! I don't want to rip up anything. What do you lube with?

briangcc

Commander
This is a Motorguide 82

This is a Motorguide 75 (saltwater version, 24 volts)

Motor is going to come out the same as its the electronic control boards up in the head that are going to be different...and perhaps the windings on the motor but the process will be very similar to the 55.

Like I said, mine's going in to a shop for repair as I'd rather pay someone to do this than to butcher something important. Could I do it over a few adult beverages? Maybe.... With 3 small kids watching? Not a chance.

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the links. I'm going to replace the shaft and the seals. Everything else is looking good.

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just waiting for parts now. Someone suggested Locktite 263 to seal the threads on the shaft and white lithium to grease the ends of the rotor. that sound about right?

zonaman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
FYI- Finally got my hands on the service manual for this motor. It recommends Loctite 262, preceded by Loctite spray primer for shaft threads. Got shaft seals for the amature on. Just waiting on a few more parts. Manual also indicates 2-4-C grease for shaft tip, Mercury tech line guy told me white lithium is OK too- if the motor got water inside.