Water in the storage compartment of 2003 Trophy Pro 2002WA

Punster

Recruit
Hi there

I am new to boating and this is my first boat that i own. I took the boat to get checked out. Have taken it out 3 times to see if there is anything wrong with it. While taking things out of the boat before it went for repairs, i notice that the storage compartments under the seats in the cabin, the one in the front and one on the right had water in them. I have taken the boat to salt water and it was salt water that was in the storage compartment. The carpet and the cushions were dry and had no water marks. By the looks of it the water came in from the hull. (long story as to why there was water in the hull.)
The strange thing is that there is no holes for the water to enter the storage compartment. Isn't the storage compartment under the seats supposed to be dry? How did it get there and how do i stop it coming in again?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Regards

Pun

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in the storage compartment of 2003 Trophy Pro 2002WA

If you read the forums, you will read of water coming it the seam where the upper deck is bolted to the hull. Sometimes, people call this the rub rail. The water will follow the mouse fur down into the storage area. Both my boats have a very small bead of silicone rubber along the top and bottom to seal this joint. Another thing to check are the window/ports. Check the O rings in the window and the seal where it's bolted in.

One way to check for leaks is to be in the cabin, while a friend sprays the rub rail, bow sprit, windows, cabin hatch and other joints with a garden hose. You should be able see where the water is coming in. Dry out this area and seal. Then, try this again.

Regarding older boats, Check that the forward and aft bilge pumps are working. Check the plastic Thru Hulls. Older PVC fitting can get sun and freeze damaged. Some of the older boats had a simple press in hatch back by the outboard splash well. Flexing tends to loosen these hatches and can flood the boat with water. Many people attach ball scuppers to the deck drains to prevent water from backing up onto the deck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-H-MARINE-FLOW-MAX-BALL-SCUPPER-BOAT-DRAIN-3-4-1-1-2-OPENINGS-FMS-1-0-/290672192379?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item43ad69ab7b#ht_642wt_859