Water in the oil...

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Water in the oil...

Ayuh,... Have Fun, but it don't work,... Ya need a block, minimum...

Yup. Ya know what really sucks? This motor doesn't seem to have been run terribly much. There isn't any lip at the top of the cylinders. For some reason I like these old L6 engines.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hey! Nice Clear (in focus) pictures!!!

Yeah, those cracks can be attributed to not fully draining the block......... by not using a piece of wire etc to ENSURE that all the rust flakes/debris is out of the drain holes.

For some reason I like these old L6 engines.
The 230/250/292 engines are probably some of the best and smoothest running marine engines out there!

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yup. I've always put quick drain valves in my engines vs. just the screw in plugs. Every time I put the boat in the water and removed it, I would crack open the valves and drain the water from everything. It keeps the rusty crap down.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You could put a 292 in the boat possibly.... There is the problem of engine mounts and the damper not fitting in the front mount. I didn't investigate very closely but I think the damper is larger (diameter) than the 230/250 dampers.

Interesting thing though.....The heads on the 230 250 and 292 will interchange. And the deck height is taller by an inch or so on a 292.

There's also a weird head for the 292's and possibly 250 that you DO NOT want to use in a boat because the intake or exhaust manifold is somehow integral with the head. (a marine manifold will not fit) So you just have to ensure that you use the "right" head.

neet neet neet engines!..... they sound like a sowing machine at idle!!

Good luck finding what you need!

Rick

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They are great engines, and this one purred great, bit the busted block is a killer. I hate It when someone doesn't take care of things properly. Stuff like this happen....