Water in oil

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
this was discussed on the other thread, the intake gaskets are suspect, that will put water right into the cam valley & motor oil.

Supra99

Cadet
My question is would that only leak into the cylinders and not into the crankcase?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those shoulda been tossed FOR SURE. But water in the engine can have more than one source. Did you have water in the cyls, rusty spark plug electrodes? Likely from what I see there. If those sealed it would have been a miracle.
What the sealing surfaces look when new for the OMC/Volvo style exhaust:Exhaust install wiht headless bolts to line it all up.JPG
However, you could still have bad intake gaskets.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My question is would that only leak into the cylinders and not into the crankcase?
Water in the cyls eventually will get into the motor oil and crankcase. I had 2 blown HGs letting water in to the cyls (#2 and just a little in #1) no leaks from anything else and I had the same water in the oil under the valve covers as you did. You won't see it on the dipstick right away but you will eventually and under the valve covers it will be obvious.

Supra99

Cadet
spark plus are fairly new so no rust but 7 and 8 are sparkly clean. When I got back I pulled all plugs and turned engine over after disconnecting fuel pump and water shooting out of number 5 cylinder but not 7 or 8…. Doesn’t make sense but definitely believe risers and manifold are shot

Supra99

Cadet
image 3.jpgimage 2.jpg
Replaced intake gaskets and used red RTV, torqued to spec. Still getting water in oil so I pulled risers and see this. Also turned over engine a spitting out water from only cylinder 5 from what I could see. Would that cause that much water to get in the crank case?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, water leaking into cylinders will ultimately get to the crankcase

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
responded to the other thread. those have been trash for a long time. Here's what they should look like (OMC/Volvo exhaust)
Exhaust install wiht headless bolts to line it all up.JPG

Scott06

Admiral
spark plus are fairly new so no rust but 7 and 8 are sparkly clean. When I got back I pulled all plugs and turned engine over after disconnecting fuel pump and water shooting out of number 5 cylinder but not 7 or 8…. Doesn’t make sense but definitely believe risers and manifold are shot
Probably more a matter of what cylinders exhaust valve was open when you stopped it. I do believe the water in the cylinder will slowly leak past the rings into the oil. If you test the cooling system with air pressure and it holds you know the leak is from the manifolds To elbow joint. hoepfully your valves don’t rust

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The gasket surface on those manifolds does not look good. Usually the risers are worse. You can try to sand them down (heavy emery paper on plate glass), and see if they can be trued up. They are not very rusty, which is good. How old are they?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
don't even think of re-using them, they are trash, scrap iron!
buy new Barr Marine aftermarket ~~$725 or so

kenny nunez

Captain
From the pictures of the surfaces I suggest that you replace the manifolds.
If you do not then start saving for another engine in the near future.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Barr after market OMC/Volvo style ones I put on almost 5 years ago have held up quite well. At the end of this season I will probably remove the elbows to check them out.

Supra99

Cadet
thanks for the info, I found a set and planning to order soon. Also does anyone have any info on the intake manifold on this indmar engine. Can’t find it anywhere?C334310B-3FF3-498F-9A48-FEDEDDCEDF3E.jpeg

Supra99

Cadet
I’m curious because it doesn’t have any water ports goin through it on the rear side at cylinders 7 and 8 but the engine does? So the water doesn’t have anywhere to flow through the intake on the rear side. Seems pointless and asking for a water leak…