Water in Oil

dsarazen

Cadet
I've got a remanufactured 454 raw water cooled shaft drive. I've been noticing water getting into the carb lately, but didn't think too much of it. I went to the boat yesterday and it wouldn't turn over. We pulled the plugs and water ran out of the back 4 - two on both sides. Because it came out BOTH sides, I'm thinking it's not a headgasket, but maybe a cracked intake manifold gasket.<br />Will water in the oil cause me to rebuild? I'm going to flush the motor with diesel. I'm worried that this will cause permament damage...will it? Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in Oil

hello<br />I would suspect a riser, exhaust manifold or maybe the hull got hung under a dock at tide change, but there is no water passge near any intake runners on the aft end of the 454. they are at the front under the t-stat housing. unless this is a V drive with the engine mounted flywheel fwd. there is an exhaust crossover from one head to the other. to dry the motor out dissconnect the sea water hoses from the manifolds and risers if used. some flow water to both and others flow from the manifold to the riser. I have no clue what modelor who marinized it. you failed to supply that part :) .<br /> try to discharge the water overboard. start the engine for a 30-60 seconds. it will blow a bit of water from the risers and such. you may wish to plug the riser/manifold nipples off. be aware that when running this way the rubber parts of your exhaust will get hot. dont melt them. also be aware the seawater pump is discharging from the removed hoses, dont sink the boat :) . that will allow you to try to dry the cyl/valves and if it does not get wet again it eliminates the blockand heads and intake.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

We have had a heck of a lot of rain in SoCal the last two months. Are you sure it's not rainwater coming through a leaky deck into the flame arrestor? Water that gets into the intake manifold ends up in the back cylinders. A failed manifold or riser gasket will usually enter the middle two cylinders.<br /><br />Dave

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what dave says<br /> wont be the first time I have seen rainwater in the cyl due to leaky decks and deck plates. I for got how much rain yall have had. I am on the other side where its just cold and nasty :)

dsarazen

Cadet

Looks like I found the water leak...the intake manifold gasket right up front - on both sides - gave way. Interesting...the only part the remanufacturer salvaged from my old engine was the intake manifold. We checked the compression on all eight cylinders and found 175 pounds on each.